Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer Manual Rear Window Handle Problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by darrenb, Sep 29, 2004.

1. darrenb

darrenb Newbie

Can anyone tell me how to put the guts togeather in a manual rear window crank handle? IE: The lock, prawl, spring and clutch togeather. I have all the parts and no instructions!
    Thanks, Darren

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I didn't have any instructions either. Not to sound superior but I just used what little common sense I have and puzzled it all out. I do remember you need the key to install the lock cylinder. After that I'm afraid I'm not much help. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Not to be a smart arse but how'd you take it apart???? Then again sometimes I take stuff apart and it is weeks before I put it back together, turning a simple job into a game of "where'd that part go?"

I did mine a few months ago and it was a snap. You can install the lock cylider with the crank handle removed from the gate to make it easier. But to get the crank off the regulator has to be removed to gain access to the two bolts that hold the crank on. In other words you got to gut the gate and get everything out (regulator and glass). The glass is easy, two bolts per side to the tracks and slide them to the ends where the roller can slide out a gap in the edge. Pull the glass out then. The regulator does not have to be removed all the way, but all of the bolts holding it in need to get pulled and then you can slide the regulator down to the bottom of the gate out of the way. My suggestion though, pull the regulator out and give it some cleanup and fresh coating of grease on the gears and rollers. Lack of lube is the reason the potmetal cranks break.

Back to the crank itself, with the regulator out of the way you can get the crank off with two bolts and change out the lock on the bench.

Assembly is in the reverse order. Put the crank back in and then line up the arm on the regulator in the center that the two ears on the crank turn. When you have the crank in your hand you'll see what I mean. Once you have the crank and the regulator lined up, bolt the regulator in and all you need to do is put the glass back in. Its really pretty easy once you start looking at the whole package.

One word of caution. Be careful with the regulator when you pull it out to grease it up. You see the big clockspring that holds tension, it carries a lot of energy. If you crank the regulator too far one way when greasing it, the dang thing will turn into a mini-gullotine(sp) and make a good attemp at slicing anything in its path. I did this to the junk regulator I yanked out of mine and was lucky my finger was not in it.

4. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

rear lock cylinder

having this problem right now
    dont have the key to rear lock cylinder, any way to get it out without trashing everything?