Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blazer motor fried, need towing help!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Nov 24, 2002.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Hey Y'all,
    I was moving on friday from Memphis, TN to somewhere is WV. My brother-in-law was driving the Caddy 500 Blazer for me while I lead in the moving truck. He pulled over all of a sudden. I ran back and he said the truck was losing power and getting hot and then the oil light came on. Uh-oh! We were on a deadline and had to leave the Blazer behind. I wanted to tow it behind the truck, but the Penske folks said their tow dollies won't hold a fullsize truck. Now I'm in WV and I want to go back for my truck this week. Where should I go to rent a trailer, tow dolly, roll-back truck, or anything else to haul my busted blazer 600 miles home? Paying someone 1000s of dollars to ship it back is out of the question as is fixing it there and driving it back. HELP!!! Thanks guys.
    Sincerely,
    Chris /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

tell penske u need the dolly to haul a car such as a pontiac grand am. then load ur blazer onto it. it may b a tight squeeze, but u can make it work. what they dont know wont hurt them

NITRO

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Might need to find some 31' x10.5's to get it on the trailer a then it will go. that's the cheapest way.

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

what grimmy said... rent the trailer tell them it's a car.. go to wallmart and get the cheapest tires and cheapest rims and go to the truck and put them on the front... only need smaller ones for the front... it may fit on with what ya got but will be TIGHT!

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Load it onto the do;;y backwards, the rear is narrower than the front.

John

6. steelsoldiers

Good thought John, my biggest worry is the 3600 lb weight limit on the dolly. I believe my truck tops the scales at around 5200lbs. I'd hate to break the dolly going down the road and lose the blazer into the car behind me /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Any other thoughts? Thanks.
    Chris

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

The dolly isn't going to have to support the full brunt of the weight. In reality, it only supports about half of it. Put the lightest end onto the dolly and take your time, unless you have a buddy with a BIG trailer.
    The only other thing...flat tow.

8. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Better hurry and figure something out before your missing windows and other parts!

9. steelsoldiers

Thankfully it broke down not 20 miles out of town which was about 5 miles from a friends house so we hooked a chain to it and drug it to his house /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. He'll keep a good eye on it for me, but I don't want to junk up his yard forever. I think I'll try the dolly. I'll have to go u-haul because penske only rents to those with a penske truck /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif. One last hope is a friend of a friend who has a roll-back wrecker. We'll see...
    Chris

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Two words I'm shocked noone else said yet:

TOW BAR!!

I towed an 8-inch lifted K5 50 miles once by tow bar, never had a problem. Had to pull over and recheck and tighten the chains after a mile or two, but it was a heckuva lot easier and a million times more stable than a dolly or any other solution. If I needed to save money, I'd use a towbar in a heartbeat over a wrecker.
    A dolly can be pretty dangerous if you have to bend over backwards to make it work...