Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blazer newbie here, 85 k10, would like any info possible

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by v8only, Jun 28, 2005.

1. v8only

v8only Newbie

Hello all, I'm buying for $2k an 85 blazer silverado k10 from my friend. Except for paint, it's extremely nice, inside and out. I'm buying it to tow my project mustangs around, and as an occasional driver.

I have questions.

-what differentiates a k5 blazer from this one, a k10 blazer?

-my 350 has 213k miles on it, but taken care of. How many miles more can I really expect?

I saw a newer blazer today (maybe late 80's) that had the newer styling on the front end and tail lights. Is it possible to easily convert mine for this look?

All tips and suggestions welcome, as I try and learn everything about this truck.

Thanks! Jeremy

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Nothing.

Who knows????????? I guess it depends on how good of shape it's in. :D

Yes it's possible. There are wayback threads covering the grill conversion. You should look back see what people have done to do it.

:D :D :D

3. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

All Blazers 'til '92 were K5's, trucks were K10's.

4. v8only

v8only Newbie

I'll double check when I get the truck, but when I opened the glovebox, there was a paper taped there obviously from when the car was new with every option on it, including the vin, and it said k10 silverado blazer

5. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Yeah, what you found in the glove box is called an RPO lable listing all the vehicle's options from the factory like you said. K10 indicates that it is a 4WD 1/2 ton chassis, if it is a blazer than it is know as a K5. Only Blazers are (at least 4WD) considered to be K5's. 2WD blazers are called C5's but thats a different story. :D

6. v8only

v8only Newbie

ok :)

is $2k too much money for a so cal truck with 213k?? Remember, old trucks are a dime a dozen here.

7. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Depends on how well its been taken care of. You said that its good except for the paint, but paint won't leave you straned on a trail. Make sure that the trans fluid is in good condition and it drives nice along with the other regular checks and 2k is in the ball park of so-cal. I'm not to far from you.

8. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Interesting

Interesting thread to find for me.
    I've been asking the v.few people i see with "Blazers" at the events i've been to over here (UK) this same type of question. Nobody seems to know the answer so your guys thoughts can help me a lot too.
    I've got an '83 K5 Blazer. (6.2L Diesel)
    From what i've seen the K10 of the same age has a seperate bed from the cab? AND is a pick-up with no rear roof.
    Mine's 'just a Blazer' whereas I see some here that are 'Silverado' which seems to be a high-level trim option.
    My Blazer has a hardtop made of fibreglass with windows which, if you removed it would leave the cab open at the rear. Not practical in Britain!
    The tailgate has an electric window (which falls out of its runners when i wind it down).
    The rear load area is integral with the cab area The folding rear seat has been removed by previous owner and a chequerplate bulkhead installed to waist height. Thats ok for me and anyway the front seats dont fold so getting into sit at the back must've been awkward
    Am not sure how you tell the difference between 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton. ?
    Why does the Chilton manual refer to "Full size" trucks?
    So, anyway, .. my truck is a K5. and thats about all i know at present.
    Cleers 'n beers!

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

In '85 the 3 trim levels were the base Custom Deluxe, mid Scottsdale, top Silverado. The pickups got these badges on the fenders. I've seen Blazers w/ the Scottsdale & Silverado badges, but not the Custom Deluxe, so maybe that is what yours is???

The 1/2, 3/4, & 1 ton are the designations for its load capacity, each level being more heavy duty. The Blazer was only offered as a 1/2 ton. Many people here added the HD parts from 1 ton p/u to their K5s, hence the term "one ton K5".

They are called "full size" to differentiate them from compact trucks such as GM's S-10/S-15 line of trucks. Even though it has a shorter wheelbase & integrated cab/bed the K5 is still based on the same chassis as the other p/u and rightly called a full size.

Hope that answered some of your "?"s.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, as was mentioned, the 10, 20, 30 (and 1500, 2500 and 3500 for GMC) designations are for 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton.

Sticking with that scheme, a Blazer uses the exact same running gear as a C or K10/1500, and is based off of those trucks, so you will see K10 (for instance) in almost all parts, insurance, and identification databases.

There have been other threads on this, if I'm not mistaken, there is no exact GM definition of "K5". You know the K stands for 4WD, the 5, well...it's on the fender emblem though! :)

In the parts manuals, the body styles are broken down by two digit numbers. I believe the Blazer body is a 06, the 'burb is a 16. Doesn't help much other than to show that GM differentiated the trucks based on body style, and not just 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton.

11. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Deluxe !

Thanx for the info, it's most helpful for me. Haven't seen anything marked Scottsdale over her but Silverado is quite common, relatively speaking.
    Mine must be a Custom Deluxe as it has v basic level of trim. So it is a K5 (4wd) with integral cab/bed. on a 1/2 ton chassis wearing 33 inch tyres and wind-up windows with non-functioning a/c, 6.2 diesel, auto trans (not sure wot type) and automatic overdrive.
    Thanx again Bigjbear.

12. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

K5/v10

From 87 up they listed the blazer as a V10, not sure why they changed it but title says V10 as well as all parts listings and the NADA guide. :dunno:

13. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

K5

Hi Dorian. Thanx for your extra info. helps me put it all together in my head. So i get the 10, 20, 30, - 1500, 2500,3500 notation but still puzzled by the 5 in K5.
    Anybody able to add further?
    I had a look at your Frankentruck.looks like you're having fun building and the Cutlass is pretty. But the dog is way cool!! :bow:

14. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

V10

Now don't you start. I just got my head around the stuf from the other guys! V10??? Crazy :confused:

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Kiwi, there was a madness to the method at GM in 87, 88, 89, 90, and 91...

The square body style had it's last full year in 87, and as mentioned the 2WD and 4WD were known as either "C" or "K" trucks. In 1988 they did a redesign but didn't have the entire line up of "C" and "K" trucks 'done'. They had the pick-ups done in regular cab, and intro'd the new Extended Cab pick-up. Being the new style they referred to them by the familiar "C" and "K".

The problem was they were still selling Blazers and Jimmy's, Suburbans, Cab and Chassis trucks and Crew Cabs in both 2WD and 4WD. They had to come up with nomenclature to differentiate between the two differing body styles and started calling the old body style truck "R" for 2WD and "V" for 4WD. This was done until the old body style was completely phased out in 1992.

Hope that clears things up a little.

Rene

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I thought the Chev trims were Cheyenne, Scottsdale, and Silverado?

Custom, Custom deluxe was GMC. I can't recall for sure but wasn't "Sierra Grande" the top line GMC?

Rene

17. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

C / K . R / V

Rene. you are the fount of all knowlege. How do you get to know all this stuff? So, I understand, the R & V's were just temporary badges for the few years while they were restyling with overlapping models. Truely mad in their method. Thanks for your info.

Re: trim level & Bigjbear
    My truck is a Chev. The trim is very obviously base line so it's not a Custom Deluxe But no Cheyenne badges anywhere. Was there a level below Cheyenne in 1983? Just curious now.

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

more confusion!...

Hey!--what about the "BONANZA" and the "BIG 10",and the "CHEYENNE","CST"(Custom Sport Truck),and "HGH SIERRA" models?? :whistle: :whistle: :rotfl: ...confused yet?? :crazy:

19. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Or the Cheyenne Super :haha:

Bonanza is a special trim package, like the Gentleman Jim, the Spirit of '76, etc.

Big 10 is an option package for suspension and does not involve trim level :D

CST was a pre-73 thing, Cheyenne and Sierra / High Sierra are 73+ trim packages -- though as we know they changed over the years. In the 70's the Cheyenne was the Chevy high-end one; later it became the low-end.

Anyway, there is LOTS of information directly from the horse's butt, err, mouth... in the form of GM's sales brochures. Scanned copies can be found on my Brochures site (shameless self-plug :) )

-- A

20. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Thanks

Thanks fellas. Thats more than enuff info for me at the moment. I'm getting my head around it and gonna view the brochure site too.
    I hope the original poser of the question (v8only) has gotten as much out of this as i have. thanx again. you guys are great. :cool1: :k5: