Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer not firing help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by T-bam, Jan 30, 2005.

1. T-bam

T-bam Registered Member

Heres what I got, 1985 Chevy Blazer, 305/ auto. Last week, truck ran fine, boss took it to her house(repoed), went to get it last night, she had ran it out of gas. I put some gas in itand cranked, it half ass tried to fire, but didnt. It seemed flooded. The battery was dying so I decided to go back today. Changed the fuel filter, added more gas, no start, wouldn't even fire or act like it this time, not even with sprayng starter fluid, changed the coil, distributor, rotor button, and module, still no fire. Hooked a test light to distributer, it has power to it. What the hell else could it be? I never heard of all the plugs going bad at once, but could that happen if too much gas or bad gas?????Stumped.

2. bowtiewrench

bowtiewrench Registered Member

Sounds like the fuel pump to me, could have burnt it up by running it out of gas.

Alex

3. T-bam

T-bam Registered Member

It has a manual pump, when it cranks fuel pums through the fuel filter

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Check your plugs to see if they're fouled. The distributor having power doesn't mean it will make a spark, so you need to check for that too. I'd also make sure the choke is working, if it's electric and you spend a lot of time trying to start a vehicle, it will end up wide open and be even harder to start.

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I don't think mechanical pumps suck air that well, so you may need to prime it first. Someone who has a mechanical pump may know better.

6. T-bam

T-bam Registered Member

Thanks keep the info coming......If it was the fuel pump, it would have at least tried to fire with the ether

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

might sound stupid,but...

Did you check all the fuses???--I know it sounds too simple,but I spent 4 hrs in a wal mart parking lot trying to jump start a friends wife's K5 when it started,then died halfway out of the parking space--after much investigation,I learned she was using the ciggarette lighter to light a butt when the truck died--I checked the fuses,and the "ECM" fuse was blown!(as well as the one for the cigar lighter and a few others,the cigar lighter wire melted and crossed some other wires under the dash--I just "borrowed" another fuse from another spot and put it in,and it fired right up!--hope this helps you out,I wish I had checked the fuses sooner....:crazy:

8. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

ahhh the fun of our trucks sometimes....

Go back ther with a screw drver and touch the two terminals on the starter, also see if it is getting engagement with the flywheel.

pull one of your spark plugs and hold it against a header and look for spark too,

I had the same problem on my grandfather's 454 a couple weekes ago, turned out to be the ignition module "sp" inside the dist.:deal:

My guess is that you have the same problem,

-shawn

9. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hope this is helpful

I second the check the fuses. Also check the computer if it has one. If this thing has a carb then it may need rebuilding. Check to see if it is getting fuel in the bowl. Pull the plugs what do they smell like? It may have even jumped time in a worst case senario. You know the Vehicle best so listen to how it sounds when you try to start it and remember how it sounded when it started. Does it spin fast (real fast) and is getting fuel then some where the fire is not getting to it. ie Plugs, wires, coil, distributor, fuses. If it is spinning slow then it could be plugs or time. Remeber the tree fire needs Fuel, Spark, O2 if one is missing it does not work. This may have been a whole lot of blah blah blah but I hope it helps.:cool1: :xmas: :k5: :whistle: :woot: :thinking: :doah: :cool: :yikes: Remember not to think to hard because it is probably the most simple of things.

10. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

I would change out the module in the distributor. In GM HEI distributors those modules are strange.I have had those go out out of the blue and no more sparky. most people that have had one go out will carry an extra one with them for the future.

my 1985 suburban is giving me the same problem but I cant figure it out for the life of me either. was running fine then just wont start or better yet just stops while driving down the road and then just all of a sudden starts up like after twenty minutes or so. I have a unilite distributor and tested the module and it test fine just cant figure it out where the wire problem is.
    sry to steel your post if I figure it out I will give you info

11. T-bam

T-bam Registered Member

Changed the module also, no fire

12. T-bam

T-bam Registered Member