Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer or Burb??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by norville, Dec 29, 2005.

1. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

A stones throw from Pargon Mountaintop Pa
    Hello all, I'm new.

I stumbled onto this site recently and I'd love your opinions. I'll give you some background. I had a 94 blazer silverado and loved it but the wife hated it, "we" traded it in for an exploder. She soon took over on the "EX" and stuck me with the hyundia yuck. So I picked an 88 Landcruiser fj62 and have been driving that for the past 3 yrs. I also have an 87 2wd swb fullsize chevy that's my toy.

So Our 3 child has arrived, (10mos,4 and 11)
    I love the cruiser but with 2 car seats my 11yr old has to ride shotgun. no room for the dog. I was thinking blazer agian maybe sub. I love the pre 72's but for my family's sake I figured Pre 91. I love the idea of top down blazer. But I'll have carseats for some time, pita without back doors.

Remember it need to be somewhat reliable. The wife doesn't really care I'll be driving it." just not too ugly" parked next to the house.

So with 3 kids, the wife and a shepard. Will the Blazer work or will I be outgrowing that to quickly and have to get a sub anyway. It will be my winter vehicle, daily driver, grocery getter, and pick up the kids. I know if I go sub and it's reliable the family will use it more on the weekends to grandma's house and lumberyard etc...

Thoughts??

Lastly, I came across what I feel is a good deal. An 84 GMC k20 Spraybomb two tone paint (10 footer). Pretty solid floors and Quarters. Only real rot is in the door jam corners. It has a 350/ 700r and auto hubs. PB, PS, manual windows and AC. Bench front. Needs TLC.

The bad the tranny is making a noise after it's warm 10min+ kinda like a growl or whine. Also there is not compressor for the AC.

The price is $800 delivered to my house.

thanks, Great site.

bob

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you need a Burb. Remove the third row seat and you have plenty of room for dog and luggage. The Blazer rear seat should only be used for 2 IMO. I recently bought a 91 burb for 600.00. Put a new dist and coil in it, now it's a god running truck.
    You should stay in the 88-91 range for the fuel injection. More reliable.
    My .02

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

x2.

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Sounds like you already talked yourself into a burb. 3 car seats will fit in the back of a K5 just fine though too, but like you say with no rear doors it's kinda of a pita you'd have to get back there every time to buckle them in. It's really your personal preference.

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

and as for the top off part, you can cut the rear off of the buran and install a k5 top on there, its been done, i think someone on here has done it.

btw....WELCOME TO CK5!

6. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I say you can never have enough space, go with the burb. Plus, if you need to pick up some lumber you can pull the third row out and load it up. You can fit full sheets of plywood in there.

7. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

thanks

Wow thanks for the fast responce. Well the burb only has two rows of seats now. I would be in the market for a third and rear shoulders.

I already made the mistake of looking at that blazer top. HMMMM

thanks again,

now I need to decide if I should get a fixerupper or shoot for a prime rig? I know I want a 3/4 ton.

Tranny's go about $300 used here. Most shops want to hear it, naturally.

bob

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have 3 kids, a wife, 2 labs and (thank God) a Burb. 3 car seats fit fine in the second seat, third row out leaves room for dogs and more stuff than I really need. The wife, of course, rides shotgun.;)

9. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

So burb folks, how big is it? I mean sitting in it, It didn't seem as large as it looks from the outside. How is it driving around town? My pop has a 95 extended cab long bed. I believe it's shorter then that, right??

thanks

bob

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It takes a little getting used to in parking lots and you won't be doing many u-turns, but otherwise its no problem. The interior space nice, IMO, and being able to see over traffic ain't bad either. Of course mine is lifted with 35's.

11. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My wife loves hers, worst mistake I ever did was buy her that Sub :D can't get her to trade down.

12. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i am 6'3" 260 and have a ton of room, driveing in town is no problem what so ever, every one get out of you way:D

it is a little shorter than an extended cab long box, and parking is not that bad at all, i back in to all my spots and have no touble what so ever!.

and when i go out the the movies and all the spots are full i park up on the curb

13. retroblazer

retroblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Subs

I'd give a vote for the Sub. My 94' is the last of the simple ones,ie. no airbags. The ideal is the 3/4 ton, but if you get a cheap half ton, you can always do what I did, an sas conversion.

14. AV8

AV8 Registered Member

If your looking for a 3/4ton Sub I've got one for sale.

15. mudboy

mudboy Registered Member

I just picked up an 88 3/4 ton suburban for $500. I love it, even though I only got to drive it for a day before the rear blew.( i knew it was on its way out) Mine is lifted 4"s and also has 35X15.50 swamper sxs on it. Id get the burb.

16. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

For all the reasons the other guys said plus I just plain love driving it. More than a few times (while driving) I promise myself to never be without a Burb for the length of my life, usually coming home from Home Depot. And when away from town on your own, it's a great steel tent, built in radio, heater, lights.:waytogo:

17. boxxerace

boxxerace Registered Member

Driving a 91' burb as a family wagon / load up with lots of stuff. One day, I shuttled up 16 Downhill Mountain bikes and six people without even using a roof rack. Granted, it was a tad on the tight side, but it's possible.

I slapped a 454, dana 60 and 14 bolt under and it is awfully fun for a big heavy truck. I enjoy driving it around, certainly not an ideal daily driver if you have it lifted much.

I don't have much problems with parking the truck, save for parking garages with a limited height restriction.

Go for it :)

18. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I'd do a sub, easy to drive after you get used to it. The 4x4's actually turn quite sharp for being such a long truck.

19. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Try this, rent one for a day. I know I'd get spoiled by all the electric gizmos, but it's a good way to test the heft.:D