Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blazer or jeep

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lance86blazer, Oct 17, 2000.

1. lance86blazer

lance86blazer Registered Member

im thinking of tradeing my blazer in on a cj7 what do you guys think is better jeep or blazer list some pros and cons about both of them if you can think of any cause i cant decide what i want my blazer or a cj7 .......

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I think it's kind of obvious that everyone on this board would rather have a Blazer, though some of us do have Jeeps as secondary vehicles. Here are some good points for the K-5's:

Bigger
    More comfortable
    Can tow with them
    Better parts availability and prices
    Can fit bigger tires with less lift
    Bigger
    More storage room
    Can seat five comfortably
    Lots of room for big engines, transmissions, t-cases, axles
    Bigger

3. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

Did he mention they are BIG [​IMG]
    I think they look way better too, besides all that other stuff he listed.

4. DOUGHBOY

DOUGHBOY Registered Member

have you even drove a jeep in the winter time.i did.i owned that jeep for 1 year and one day.i think the switch to the k5 was a good choice.a very good choice.but only you could make that decision

guns dont kill postal workers do

5. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Not to mention, do you remember that guy on the highway the other day in the Honda CRX? Zipping in and out of lanes, driving like a moron, drinking his coffee? Which would you rather collide with him in? The little jeep or the 5,000lb Blazer?

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's[​IMG]

6. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

I have both. A '90 K5 for me and my wife has a '79 CJ5. I use the blazer not only for lots of offroad fun but as my daily driver too. When I was putting in my new engine I drove the Jeep to work for about a month. It drove me crazy! Noise, air leaks TOO SMALL! Both have advantages and disadvantages off road but if you plan on it being your daily driver also. There is only one choice. By the way, I have on many occasion had to pull my wife out of sticky situations but..........she has never pulled me out!
    I think this one is all a matter of opinion.

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

If I had it to do all over again, I'd prb. get a Jeep. I've always wanted one and I like them. Don't get me wrong, I love my Blazer and will continue to build it till it's where I want it to be. But I'd still love to have a Jeep. My wife drives a Cherokee and my plans are to get either a scrambler or an old flatty when I'm cought up on the Blazer. The blazer has it's advantages being easy to build. You can make one 1 ton pretty quick and you can fit larger tires quicker. Asfar as the windnoise, wet when it rains stuff, I just described my Blazer. Mine won't seat anymore people than a Jeep (no backseat) and miliage isn't a concearn. I know I'm kinda rambling, but that happens. Find a Jeep you like and see if they'll let you drive it around some. Also, wait till the coldest rainiest nastiest day around, then test drive it. That will pretty much be your worst case scenerio. It all boils down to what YOU want

HTH

Kyle
    89K5

8. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I have owned a '72 Blazer, '90 Jimmy, and a '65 CJ5. My personal favorite was my '72 Blazer. I would not want to drive a CJ as a daily driver especially one with a soft top in cold or wet conditions. I got rid of of my CJ5 after a guy ran a light and my wife broadsided him and the CJ flipped after impact. Thank God for a full roll cage and seat belts. It was a fun vehicle to drive under certain conditions, but my choice would be the K5 anytime.

9. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I love all 3 of my Jeeps, but NOT as daily drivers. If you do get one, and lift it, and use it as a daily driver, get a motocross rider's kidney belt, you'll need it!!! I had to daily drive my CJ5 around for a couple years, and while mostly it was fun, it was miserable on bad weather days!

ken

10. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

You can fix all the Jeep engine problems by dropping in a Chevy motor. You already have that. My uncle (6'4" 270 lbs) had a Jeep for about 8 months and traded it in. I rode with him quite a few times and decided if we are going somewhere that I would drive. The Jeep was to small. Shorter wheel base, real bumby, air and water leaks, cold in the winter, hot in the summer, not enough power to pull a fat lady out of a donut shop, etc... If you put bigger tires on it, the a ring and pinion swap and motor modifications are a must to get those tire to turn. Aftermarket performance parts for a Jeep are far and few between, and twice as much as Chevy and you can only do so much.
    In SE Oklahoma in the Ouachita Mtns, he had to park the Jeep several times and ride with me. My choice, Jeep or Blazer?...Blazer all the way.

11. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Blazer all the way. Its larger, you can swap any engine, tranny, transfer cases etc. Most parts from Chevy trucks fit on the Blazers which means there are tons of parts available. Blazers also rid alot smoother compared to a J**P. Its a easy choice to make. Blazer

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

Zeppelin

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have many firends with jeeps. They always tell me my Blazer is a great truck. Many of them have put lots of money and parts in their jeeps just to even try to keep up with me. The only advantage they have over me, is they can turn around when the going gets too tough. I just keep on going. Plus there is no comparison in the ride. Took a firend(jeep owner) hunting last weekend. spent quite a bit of time on rough rocky roads. His comment:" I'm glad we took your rig".
    Its your decision, but I,ve owned 2 cjs, 1 wagoneer, 1 cherokee, and a j2000 pick up. I miss none of these vehicles.

13. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Ain't nothing better than a 3,000 pound CJ with v8 power in the sand dunes. Makes our 5,000 + pound GM 4x4s look like sleds out there in the big stuff. We're talking BIG stuff like Glamis, not wimpy Pismo dunes!!! Out in the big stuff, I won't even take my "led sled" (GM 4x4).

ken

14. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

BLAZER. I'm tired of going out to my favorite place to wheel and a J**p has rolled over on a hill climb or something like that and they r wanting u to come and roll them over or pull their ride to safty or something of the sorts. "I just wanted to have some fun" says the J**p owner. I hear it all the time. I just say "I am having fun" and crawl right up the hill in front of them, laughing all the way.
    Really though it's your decision. I would say that most of us on this site is dedicated to r K5's. So you can kinda get an idea of which way the pole is going to lean. I'd drive a J**P around for a day so then make a desicion. Then get back to us and let us know what mods u r going to do next on your K5.[​IMG]

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing</font color=blue>[​IMG]

15. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

just think, if you decide to build up your jeep by the time your done it would be classifed as a chevy does that tell you any thing? if jeeps are so good then why are all the tricked out jeeps 70% chevy or off a chevy? and why take all the tuff, powerfull, and reliable parts off of a better factory vechile just to put them on a piece of jeep so that it can be compared with a blazer?

<font color=red>ALL I KNOW IS THAT MY BLAZER HAS NO JEEP PARTS</font color=red>

<font color=green>SMP</font color=green>[​IMG]

16. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

BLAZER Jeeps are good on the trail but Blazers are better. Jeeps flip all the time. My friends brother flipped his in mud a year ago and it was totaled. the roll bar crushed in right where his head would be but he had leaned out the window because his wind shield was muddy. By the time you have a Jeep built up for the trail youve replaced the engine, tranny, axles and maybe t-case from parts out of a Chevy, so why not start with a Chevy to begin with?

90K5

17. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I think they are starting to hit on a very important topic here rollover and center of gravity. When you start putting lift on a jeep, the CG changes drastically, faster than the wider Blazer. Wider is better.

18. mybeast

mybeast Registered Member

I think this is something only you can deside. In my opinion the only advantage of the jeep is the size(less damage on the tight trails)

When all else fails MASH the skinny pedal!

19. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

I would say stick with the blazer. I think everyone has covered all the good points to a k-5.

20. lance86blazer

lance86blazer Registered Member

OK GUYS I THINK I WILL KEEP MY BLAZER YOU CONVINCED ME THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ......