Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer Plans

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Broke_Wheeler, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Broke_Wheeler

Broke_Wheeler Registered Member

I just want too say This is the best message forum on the net. The people are so kind and laid back, i love the atmosphere here. My story/plan may be long winded but here goes. I fell in love with Full size blazers ever since my new neibor moved next door with two late 80's full sizes. One jimmy, and one chevy. No rust perfect paint. I was hooked. Fast forward two years, and ive finally saved up enough money for my very own K5. Im going to propose my intended plan and ready too accept suggestions and criticism :) here goes..The immediate plan is Purchase of truck,axels, tires. Obviously the first is getting the truck. preferable a later model with TBI and a 4 speed. Odds are not for that so.. and Blazer will do :) My next step, which i am currently doing is looking for 14BFF and a D60. That way when i actually do decide on a truck, the right hardware will be sitting ready to install. I am somewhat of a newbie to this, and my two questions dealing with this is, are the axels a pretty forward direct bolt in, and will i have too get new diffrent length driveshafts. This leads to the next step. 6 inch lift and 36+ inch tires. If i lift the truck this high will i need to get new driveshafts anway? The rig wouldnt be daily driven, mabe 3 days a week. And would see a mixture of wheeling. All sand in the summer, and light mud/woody trails the rest of the year. Again im sure this all has been coverd and i should have searched, but i wanted to introduce myself and propose my plan. Thanks too everyone, and again this forum has the best group of people on it -lyons

2. sandracer799

sandracer799 1/2 ton status

Welcome! what part of Va are you from?

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Welcome !

As for the axles you want , the 14bff comes in two flavors , 3/4 ton and 1 ton . You want the 3/4 ton version , as the spring perches will be where you need them .

Read everythingyou can , search past threads on here , and enjoy :D

4. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome, and yes either mod (axles or lift) will require some kind of driveshaft modifications.

5. Broke_Wheeler

Thanks

Sandracer799 Im from the Tidewater area. pauly383k10 Thanks a million. I had no clue about the spring perches. I am reading everything i can. Ive practically lived on this website for the past several months. Dont know why i havent joined earlier. I wose hoping too do this project in steps. To help my wallet.. It seems thoguh everything needs too be done at once.. Dont want to get rims/tires because when i swap in new axels, the lug pattern wont match up from stock 10 bolt to 14bolt etc.. And my other plan to swap in the 3/4 ton axels and just drive on the for awhile to wait on more cash wont work because im going to need driveshaft modifications, and im going to have too do that anyway with the lift. so it seems liek everything has too be done at once to work right.. Oh well i can at least buy the truck and have fun with that, and do all the good stuff at once... Thanks ahead of time for any and all input. -lyons

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Thats a good plan . I did that too , collected it all beforehand , then went with it . It won't stop there ............ theres always something you'll want to do to make it "better" :D

7. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

You will save lots of money doing it all at once. On the other hand you have to have all the money at once, prior.

That sounds like a good plan. That's basically what I did (although I like the late '70s models for their stout bulldog look).

And welcome!

8. Broke_Wheeler

thanks

Thanks everyone for all of the input. I cant wait to put this plan into motion. I think it will be a lot more rewarding to do everythign at once. That way ill have the finished product all at once and just step back and enjoy it. This whole thing is definately going to be an excellent learning experience and a ball doing it. I am also looking very forward to saw zawing the fenders and sanding/ giving the whole truck a nice flat paint job Ive always enjoyed flat black :laugh:

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Whatever you get, get one that has TBI from the factory. Its the one thing you'll keep in your long build-up. ;)

Having 1 ton axles is a good thing. Wouldn't trade mine for nuttin'. If you are having trouble finding some here or locally, you might try the guy over on pirate who always has a bunch FS in their classified forums.

yes. Spring perches may need to be moved... different shock mounting... driveshaft lengthening/shortening... but that is all pretty simple stuff.

Most likely, especially if you plan on having a suspension with any travel at all...

Check that, you WILL need to lengthen your shafts...

...get a traction bar of some kind...

...all about clearance, lockers and a good steering system.

j

10. Broke_Wheeler

thanks

Jekbrown.. thanks a million for your post. The step by step answering is fantastic and really helps it sink into my brain. I would definately lock the rear, but thats not until later stages. Trying to get everything pieced together out on paper so i basically have a shopping list... I think thats about it for now, thank you too everyone. And you havent heard the last of me :D -lyons