Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blazer plans..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coincidentally, Jun 21, 2001.

1. coincidentally

coincidentally Registered Member

I think I have come to the conclusion that the best setup (money/power wise) is a dana 60 front and a gm 14 bolt back (full floater). The only problem is that I have been searching the want ads for weeks, and I can never find that set, its always the dana 44 and gm 14 bolt....anyways, from the reading I have done so far, the 14bolt is on most if not all 3/4 ton and 1 ton chevy pickups, and 1 ton suburbans, and the dana 60 is on 1 ton chevy pickups and some dodges (at least the dana 60's that have the diff on the right side). Does anyone else know of other trucks that have em? I am pretty impatient and might give in and go to this used parts place, but the $&@$'s have everything computerized and cant tell me anything they have unless I give them an exact year make and model (which is nice if I was getting things that came on my blazer).

Also, any recommendations on the setup I am planning?
    I have an 84 k10 blazer,
    put dana 60 in front 14 bolt in back
    revolver shackles all around,
    the ORD shackle flip (so I can get rid of the lift blocks),
    ORD sway bar disconnect,
    and I think 4.56 gears would be smart. i heard that anything higher makes driving at high speeds pretty difficult. Any opinions?
    Also, I want to put a detroit locker in the 14 bolt, but what about the front? The blazer is going to mostly be for having fun on the weekends, and I wont do too much regular driving in it, but I still want to have the option to, is a detroit in the front still the best way to go?

any help would be appreciated.....

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a good plan, but I am not a big fan of the Revolver shackles.

What size tire and what tranny will you be running?

Since you will drive the K5 on the road alot, I would probably suggest a True Trac or a Powr-Lok for the front, especially if k5 will see any snow... If no snow and you run all nice weather, you could go with a Detroit.

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101</A>

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You are running at least 4" lift - go crossover steering and ditch the swaybar.
    Do you have a compressor onboard? I am going with ARB in the front on a D60.

Dave

Don't Be Sexist - Broads Hate That

4. coincidentally

no, no compressor, the guy I bought the blazer from took the liberty of cleaning the engine bay out realllll good. I looked into the arb setup, but man is it a lot of money...

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

revolvers all the way around??? in the front too? never seen it done on a chevy. a lot of jeep and zuki guys do it to the front of their rigs, but their shackle is in the front. Good luck to ya on whatever you do though. I also am not a fan of revolvers or buggy leaves, lots of travel with no traction does no good. If you can find a way to get some weight on the drooped side it might all be good. I agree go crossover. A front detroit wont hurt you on the street if your hubs are unlocked, but if you're in 4 hi on an icy street, you're dangerous with a full locker in the front.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

6. scrapmetal

scrapmetal 1/2 ton status

If no luck just order one from Boyce equipment, its spendy but well worth it and they will stand behind it, as for the Blazer, mine is as you say, D60 in the front with Lock-rite, 14FF with Detroit, 4:56 gears, L-98 Corvette 350, SM-465 4spd, and 205 TF, Ive wheeled the piss out of it and have yet to break anything, and I run 38's, I have 1-ton springs front and rear, and it flexes just fine for me, I can follow those Jeeps anywhere, I have crossover steering and on board air, and too much to list, suffice to say its set up, anyways good luck,,

Never been stuck, just temporarily delayed.

7. coincidentally

I was under the impression that everyone that used the revolver setup put them on all sides. The other thing I was worried about is how do the revolvers hold up on the road? would I be swaying all over the place? If I ditch the rolver idea what other options do I have for better articulation?

8. coincidentally

I was planning on throwing on some 35s, I cant go any higher since the height restrictions in massachusetts are pretty strict, and with the 35's I think I will be about 1 or 2" over the limit, but what the hell.....

It seems like everyone doesn't like the revolver shackles, whats so bad about them?

Thanks for the advice on the lockers in the front axle. I think I might go with the True Trac....

9. coincidentally

the axles from boyce are like $2k right? thats why I was hoping to find a used one around my area, I saw one a month or so ago for like $250, but I wasn't ready to get it, but now I am wishing I did....oh well

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

i like the concept behind them, but you can get uncontrolled upward motion with them.(so I have heard) and that is what I dont care for. I would rather have a little less articulation........

Although I have seen people make some shackles that are very similar to Revolvers, but they can pin them so they dont droop.

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101</A>
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Emmettology 101 on 06/22/01 09:55 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Another option you can try in the rear are Velvet Rides, supposed to not only soften the ride but adds some flex. AZBLAZER ran them for a couple of years and loved them - one note - can't use Velvet Rides with a shackle flip.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com>http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com</A>

12. coincidentally

any idea who makes the velvet rides?

13. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

BF Goodrich makes them - there is a website for them that I can't remember the URL for............but if you call up any four wheel drive place they should be able to get you hooked up.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com>http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com</A>

14. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

the axles from boyce are like $2k right? thats why I was hoping to find a used one around my area, I saw one a month or so ago for like $250, but I wasn't ready to get it, but now I am wishing I did....oh well

<hr></blockquote>

$2000.00 for axles from Boyce?!?! Yeah, about 10 years ago!!! Surely, not today! Someone on the site quoted Boyce selling rebuilt 60 and 14 for $5500.00!!! [​IMG] Now thats what I call 'spendy!'

If you are seriously searching for these axles, just make a post on the For Sale/ Want ads and someone should have some or know where to get some. Remember, patience is the key here!!! [​IMG]

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>