Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer ponderings.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DavidB, Oct 18, 2006.

1. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Most of you know I'm not fan of Blazers (I prefer pickups) but I found a good deal on one. My questions are these:

Yah, I know it's been discussed, but I wanna rediscuss. And I'm lazy. :D

How much can you stretch the wheelbase before you hit the tank in the back, and how light can you get one? My brother's 1 ton K10 weighs 4,800#, I'd like to get around there. No top, no doors, no tailgate, minimal armor. Can the tank be moved up/back without much trouble to give more room for the rear diff?

Thanks - David

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I think from looking at Ira's you could move the rear axle back about 4" or so before hitting the tank. You could mount the tank higher by cutting a hole in the floorpan and raising it a little bit (or a lot). It would be real easy to do, but could mess up any thoughts of putting junk in the rear.

Weight..... I have no idea.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Depending on your diff and cover, moving the axle back may work.

With my 14BFF and a Jethro-built cover, 4" was absolutely out of the question (the 56"s in the rear only fit with the short edge forward.) 2", maybe.

With a stock diff and/or a shallower cover, 4" is prolly doable. Not much more.

The tank can only move up if you cut the floor. Back, maybe, but you'd have to modify the bumper, fill pipes, etc etc etc, and that for maybe an inch or two.

HTH.

-- A

4. bigpig72CST

bigpig72CST Registered Member

Using a stock rear, I was only able to get 3 1/2 inches. I agree, 14ff would leave you much less room.

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

What happened to the 3+3

6. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Loose weight and put the rear axle were you want = get a small fuel cell above the floorpan :waytogo:

7. bigpig72CST

bigpig72CST Registered Member

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

David (or was it Andy?) had a crewcab, aka sixpack, 3+3, etc, which was gonna be wheeling.

-- A

9. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Might still...might sell. Gimme yer CUCV :D EDIT: Nevermind, it's not a 1008

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I think I can move my 14FF back 4" by flipping my 56s around I do not understand the concern of the fuel tank as the dif does not move up and down as much since the axle is articulating around it. I do not jump my rig but it does slide off of rocks sometimes. Has anyone actually hit there fuel tank with the rear pushed back? I cannot raise my tank as I still run a top. I suppose I could fab a false floor behind the rear seat so the tank is still "under" the bed of the K5:D. As far as the front axle it is really limited by steering. I think you can get 3.5" with 52s or 56s and a zero rate that will almost put your pitman arm directly above your spring plate which on compression could be a bad thing. That would make the overall wheelbase of a K5 106.5+3.5+4=114".

Ira

11. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the good info. I was hoping to get the WB into the teens without a lot of trouble. Sounds doable. Mine will be jumped though :D Might keep the 60 and build a low-pro pan for it. Or go 14FF and do the same thing.