Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer Project

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by petryshyn, Mar 23, 2005.

1. petryshyn

petryshyn 1/2 ton status

I need some advice from people who have done what I started just now. I just build a 350 for my blazer. Bought a 1 ton 4x4 for the sm465,np205,dana60,14bolt. Now I have to decide what to do. The carb for the blazer was off a 305, with and electric choke. Should i run a electric choke or get a manual one.

I am trying to decide on a lift which will be capable off road and not to bad on the road as I have to drive the vehical to the place i would want to wheel. I was looking to fit around 37-39" tires. I was thinking about a 4" lift, with 52" springs out rear(2 inch lift, and a shackle flip.) Then put 4" stock size springs up front. How do you guys think this will ride. Anyone running a similiar setup?

Also the np205 i was thinking about doing a twin stick conversion. Anyone who did it does the independant control of the front tires help, or should i just do it for the cool factor.

I want the truck for going to the field on the farm and mostly mudding or just playing around in the fields. Any input would be apperciated.

Matthew

2. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

we are building almost the same truck except i'm going to run a th400 and i want to run a 205/203 doubler. already have 14ff shaved, made my own disc brackets and a much better set up than the lame spacers everyone sells with there brackets. have a d60 have 4.88 gears & rebuild kits, detroit locker for 14ff, crane diff covers, 63 in stock 1/2 ton springs for rear 4 in ord shackle flip, 4 in TC springs and ord hd shackles for front, ord bolt in treering brace,weld ss 2 rims 38 15.5 16 dirt grips in shead waiting to be omf beadlocked and mounted. bought a m tech bender to do my own cage and bumpers. and the list goes on and on and on. im a machinist and a certified welder so i do all my own fab work,what an ass i am!....sorry for rambling,:blush: are you going to run a cage in your truck?

3. petryshyn

petryshyn 1/2 ton status

Well a cage is not in the plans yet, but probally one day i will get around to building one soon. My goal is to get it on the road before summer. You got any pics of your rig?

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have 52s + shackle flip in the back + 4" lift springs up front. For me, the front end is way to stiff. Its fine on-road, but offroad perf isn't the greatest. If you are going to stick with stock length (47") springs up front, I recommend getting some that are known for their flexibility / softness, like Tuffcountry EZ rides or BDS.

always good to be more flexible in what you can do... but I have doubts as to how often it would get used in muddin' situations. Common sense says it would benefit rockcrawlers the most... trail guys some... and mud/sand the least. Others who mud alot can prolly answer that question better than I...

you've definitely picked some good parts... IMO, you should select some good front springs and get the rig rolling so you can test it and see how you like it... mod according to your needs after that.

j