Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer Purchase Info

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AZTBlazer, Mar 30, 2000.

1. AZTBlazer

AZTBlazer Registered Member

I would just like to introduce myself to all of you. My name is Tom and I live in Phoenix, Az. I read most of the o\posts and am especially interested in learning of new trails and going to little get togethers. My question is on what to get. I do not yet have a blazer although I am going to buy one. My parents have a 71 K10 Suburban and I had some great times in that, but I am on my own now and am getting rid of my car and want a blazer. I would like to get a 71 or 72, but it seems as if these are a little more than the 73-80's that i am also looking at. Is there any advantage besides the NP205 transfer case that would make the 71-72 better? I am in love with the look of the 71-72 but just dont know if it is worth the extra 2 or 3 grand that some people are asking. I will be doing some offroading and this will be my daily driver also, so any reccomendations would be appreciated. Thanks. Tom

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

They didn't stop putting NP205's in Blazers in '72. You just have to look harder to find them. I have one in mine, but its behind the 4-speed. I believe that it was only offered behind the manuals in the 70's. Guys...am I right?
    I went with my '73 because it had the fully removable top like the 69-72 Blazers and I knew replacement parts and stuff would be cheaper and easier to find since there are about a billion 73-87 type pickups with all similar parts. All of the 73-75 Blazers had the full hardtop by the way. Good luck.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Uh, 73+ still have NP205's on manuals just like the 69-72, IIRC.

Big differences: 73-75 are full-convertibler, unlike 76+.

69-72 are apparently worth more, and can be easier to find some parts for (interior stuff is reproduced more).

73-75 are cheaper (more of them made, hence more replacements parts like body panels etc).

All are more likely to have rust & other issues than a newer rig, all other things being equal; but then with 76+ you have that whole cab thing ;-)

HTH.

-- A

'74 K5 Blazer "Tank Grrl"
    '77 Chalet sans Blazer
    and more to come...

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Welcome Tom. About what to get. How much are you willing to spend? If you check out ebay, you can find a lot of 69-72 Blazers. Those are really great trucks, gotta love the full convertible. I drive a 75' Blazer, full convertible also and I have a NP205 with a TH350 tranny too. It didn't come that way ofcourse, had to swap out SM465 for the TH350, but it did come with the NP205. In 1980, NP205's were standards on Blazers Auto and Manual trans. The 73-91 style are wider than the 69-72. But just to let you know, the stock Dana 44 axles on that came with the 69-72 style K5's are much weaker than the ones that came with the 73-80 style K5's. Choice is yours, Good Luck
    Boss

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Oh yea. Not like it will matter a whole lot, but the 73 and later ones are 2.5 inches longer for wheelbase.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. AZTBlazer

AZTBlazer Registered Member

I am willing to spend 6k or a little more for a blazer. I just am looking for your guys expertise or at least opinions as to what you like/have had problems with. It will be for some mild offroading, but it will be lifted and at least 33" tires within a few months, and also a daily driver. My dad has a front diff off a later blazer, I think 77 or 79 that he said I could have to put on a 71-72 if i get one. I dont know about doing this, but I definately want to stay in the 71-75 range because of the full convertible top. Thanks, Tom

7. Purs

Purs Registered Member

8. Sweet Truck!!!

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

GoFOrIT!! I love the full convert feature!!
    http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099
    The front axel can be easyly the same srength by swapin out the smaller u-joint style axel shafts with the biger in 73+.
    It sounds like your stuck on the first gen K5 body style so if I were you I would keep lookin until you get what you want.
    A good first gen K5 only site is www.blazer-net.com
    Wulf's message board has some K5s listed forsale.
    any K5 you get you HOOKED for LIFE!!!!!
    Doit its good for the soul[​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

The older Blazers are more because they are being collected now like the older Bronco's were/and are for years. There aren't as many 71-72's out there as the 73-91 body style.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"