Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer question - K/V Model ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RJB44, Jun 5, 2006.

1. RJB44

RJB44 1/2 ton status

What is the difference between the "K" model and the "V" model for a 1991 fullsize Blazer?

Thanks

2. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

after 87, for some stupid readon they just changed the k to v...as well as c to r....silly bit**es:D

edit: there is a k model blazer in 91???not that i know of

3. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

When they changed the pickup body style to IFS in 88 the "new" p/u's became the C and K vehicles and the "old" Sub, Blazer and one ton p/u became R and V vehicles until they changed bodystyles in 92. also there is no K blazer in 91 although some of the parts like the splash guards in the front wheelwells still have K designations on them.

4. RJB44

RJB44 1/2 ton status

K/V Model

Someone mentioned that the difference was a few cosmetic items as well as such things as the factory presence of dual shocks in the front, and oil filter that is angled slightly different and the presence of the black sport side mirrors vs the larger standard truck style mirrors.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They are wrong, it was the change in body designation as mentioned. (dual shocks were an option long before the R/V series, all the small blocks have the same oil filter pad, and mirror options were different based on years, the very late models could be had with the flush mounted mirrors, but that was an option only on the R/V series)

You can learn yourself all of that and more, here:

http://brochures.slosh.com

And interestingly enough, looking at the brochures, it almost appears that GM dropped the "K5" in 1988. None of the Blazers after that have the fender emblem, and it's not mentioned in the brochures that I see.

6. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    Single/ dual front shocks, Springs...

Talk to me about the dual front shocks. Most of my 1/2 tons have duals, and most (all?) my 3/4's have single shock. Same thing with front springs. Dual? Triple leaf?? Weird... Doesn't seem related to option level... :doah:
    BTW, my '77 366 dump, very o/loaded, '79 3/4 California 2wd, no motor...

Andrew3 188.jpg

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Apparently this was back when you could still ORDER options on your trucks, or it was just a popular thing to do back in the 80's, so dealers ordered a fair number. (Remember all the million-shock truck pictures in the magazines?:))

Nowadays I guess you'd just get a Z71 truck and have all the choices made for you. (like every other "option" anymore that is really part of a package and not available separately) I suspect that things like a plow package would also get quad shocks, but I've not seen any factory order or build sheet that showed exactly what you could get separately and what was in a "package".

I remember when the Z71 got so popular on the '88+ C/K's that it was emblazoned on the side of the truck as a huge decal. Not sure if they still do that or not, but IMO that is all about appearance, and not function, which is what options like triple springs in the front and HD rears were on ours. (even though I believe Z71 has been around a long time as an RPO)

Of course, you could go either way with quad shocks, but I suppose back then the shocks weren't as advanced as they are now, and 4 shocks did serve a purpose other than aesthetics for things like the tow package.

8. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I thought this too, but I've seen a few of these HERE where the M in the VIN designates a 1991. Am I right?

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

???? See them on ebay all the time. Just a way to advertise. No Ks in the last run.

10. ARAMP1

So, if it was a 1990, wouldn't it be an L in the second to last letter before the sequence number?

11. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I misunderstood.
    l is 90
    m is 91
    n is 92
    p is93
    the letter O is not used

12. ARAMP1

13. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Yes there are 91 model year "Blazers" but the Designation was not K5, they started using the truck designations on the blazers and Burbs in the late 80's so there were K1500 blazers and burbs. So for 91 a 4wheel drive Blazer woudl be a V1500 (4WD halfton)