Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigbadjimmy, Apr 2, 2001.

1. Bigbadjimmy

Bigbadjimmy Registered Member

Hey all, awesome site! I recently found a 78 K5 cheap that had $6,000.00 in work done to it(4" Superlft, 35's, rebuilt TH350, strong 350, rebuilt axles, all new brakes, etc) anyways the quarters are real rusty and need replaced. Does a company make whole quarters for these Blazers or should I look for an 80's whole tub? BTW the floorboards are solid but needs rockers as well. Thanks. Also What type of rear LSD do you reccommend to replace the Gov-lock in the 12 bolt? Its worn out. Thanks
    Anthony

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.lmctruck.com>http://www.lmctruck.com</A>
    The have rockers and patch panels for you quarters. Just cut out the bad and weld in the new. Completely new quarters are a pain to install but they are available from GM.

[​IMG]

3. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

If you plan on offroading your K5, then I would suggest a Detriot locker or even a spool.[​IMG]

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. Bigbadjimmy

Bigbadjimmy Registered Member

Thanks guys for the info. The thing does DAMN good for a 350 with 200K miles and 3.07 gears with the 35's! It climbs grades in lo-range with ease! The Gov-lock's dawgs are worn down so it only works when it wants to now. I found quarters for @$600 for full ones(both sides) not too bad. I will likely swap a 14 bolt FF in the rear and convert the D44 to 8 later on down the road. It also needs a tailgate(UGH!) to the sound of $350 for an NOS GM, but well worth it to me! Trying to decide on a color for it now, flat black don't cut it! Maybe silver. Thanks.
    Anthony

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

i do body work for a livin theres NO WAY IN H$%L id put in patch panels over full panels!why cut out a section,weld a new one in,grind all the welds,then mud up 1/2 the panel??esp.true w/the over the wheelhouse panel.w/ a full panel,all you do is grind the welds on the edges around the panel and your done(over simplified)no mud unless you cause it.unless its a small area i wouldnt patch.

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer silverado 400 horse 350 w/vortec heads 38 x15.5 swampers (40 hawgs next)10 bolts(blah)w/4:88s coming soon,14 bolt.