Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer Questions

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HIX, Feb 27, 2003.

1. HIX

HIX Registered Member

If you read the post on the front clip you know that I just picked up this truck. There are a few things that are wrong w/ it.

First, the temp and gas guages don't work.

Second, the door won't open(sonds like a rod fell off).

3rd I need tips on how to tune up the carb. The kickdown is missing, the vacume advance is not hoocked up, there are all kinds of hoses that are just caped off.

I need info on how to do the timing(it has a HEI).

The filler tube is leaking slightly when I fill it up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    1st go to a book store or a parts store and get yourself a service manual that has your year truck in it,Chiltons 69-82 is good.Those manuals have all the info. your looking for.

If it's a Quadrajet,4 barrel carb,the vacume advance hose from the HEI connects to the passenger side of the carb.The EGR connects to the large port in the center/drivers side of the carb.If you have a factory air cleaner the hose that comes from that should connect to a small port on the back of the carb.

Make sure that the rotor in the HEI is pointed to the #1 cylinder(1st one on the drivers side)and that the piston is on the compression stroke(hand crank the engine with your thumb over the spark plug hole,you'll feel the preassure build)

Once that's done check your timeing mark and make sure it's pointing at the ZERO mark.
    Unplug the vacume advance hose from the carb and plug that port on the carb.
    Start the truck and put a timeing light to it and set the timing to about 6-8deg BTC(before top dead center).

Now that the timeing is set you can move onto the crab adjustments.Since your carb is missing a few vital parts I'd suggest getting yourself a new one or a used one from a junk yard that is at leat complete.

Again get a service manual.They have the whole proceedures you can follow to set everything up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hope that helped a little.

3. HIX

HIX Registered Member

Thanks for the info.

I guess my problem is that the motor is from a newer truck. The carb? Don't know what truck or year. I guess I will have to pull the numbers and see what I can find out.

I am fairly mechanically inclined(w/ ford stuff) I have put in a few engines and did a solid axle swap on my last truck. But all that was w/ a cpu controlled vehicle...this carb stuff is witchcraft! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

FWIW, Quadrajets have a part number that will start with either a "1" or a "7." The model year for which the Quadrajet was intended will be the fifth digit in the part number if it starts with a "1" or the fourth digit of the P/N if it starts with a "7."

5. Blazerholic

Blazerholic Registered Member

Had those "optional" non-opening doors on mine as well. In fact, once I got them open,of course they wouldn't shut! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Turned out to be the latch assembly falling apart. If yours just dropped a rod, that should be an easy fix though.Take off the door panel and have a look. And if your doors are as rusty as mine, do this soon before the rod falls out the gaping rust holes in your door bottoms because the rods are pretty hard to find.LMC, Brothers,and some others have latch assemblies and controls but no rods.It's a pretty straight forward design though. If I figured it out... well it's pretty simple!