Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer related bodily injuries?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I was out working on my stainless manifolds last night. I had a stud stuck in the bottom and was using a big pair of vise grips to try to get it out. I had the vice grips pretty tight and when I hit the release the flew open right next to the edge of the bench and smashed my pinky. Now its swollen to the size of my ring finger and the nail is black. My whole hand was starting to swell last night and it sucks.

While I was belly aching about my hand and not being able to sand my truck today, I got to thinking. There has to be some pretty gnarly stories out there. I don't know if there's any toolman caliber injuries but what do we have out there for stories?

<a target="_blank" href=http://new.wavlist.com/movies/031/ag-blow.wav>"I ain't nobody, dork."</a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Chrome front bumpers hazzardous! I slipped off it once and busted my chin on the front of the truck. That was prolly the most painful.

Peace and stuff [​IMG],

Muddin

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer>www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer</a>

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

So many but I'll just tell bout last nights experience. Not really that bad but I was working on my front brake hoses and the wrench slipped and the top of my hand got a good size gash in it. Not sure from what, just know it hurt and still hurts.

89 K5 Silverado, 4", 33's, 3/4 ton axles
    <a target="_blank" href=http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com>http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com</a>

4. BrianK5

BrianK5 Registered Member

There's a large, rusty hole in the rocker panel on the drivers side of my truck. I got my foot stuck in it as I was exiting the vehicle and fell flat on my face with my foot caught in that hole. No major injuries, but kind of funny.

1985 K5 Blazer

5. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

to many to list man. but i still have all of my fingers so that a pluse.

6. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I have a 2 inch scar on the back of my hand from changing the spark plugs. I broke loose a plug and my hand caught the stock spark plug wire mounts and just sliced my skin open.

I now use the Mechanix gloves and they have saved me a couple of times.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://homepage.mac.com/toddcripps/Menu2.html>homepage</a>

7. coolhandluke

coolhandluke 1/2 ton status

Well, My brother cracked his shin on my trailer hitch once. We were at a party, cops showed up, we decided to exit quickly, he tried running around the back, cut it to close and slammed his left shin into the trailer hitch, I had to pick him up and toss him in the back, cracked shin, 5 stitches....

sometimes nothing is a real cool hand

what we have here is a failure to communicate

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Burned the back of my hand on the exhaust manifold a year ago, left a scar there

Working on my brother's BMW, taking the door panel off I sliced a gash a finger on my right hand on the clips that hold the panel on. Went inside, stopped the bleeding, and went back to work with my left hand, and cut a gash in one of my fingers there too on the same clip.

90K5

9. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Loading Wes's 454 into the trailer before the OKC trip.. I had the 454 pinch my left ring finger between the trailer wall and the back of the engine..
    A few second's later.. I'm yelling like crazy... flinging my hand all over.. find out I'm bleeding out the nail.. good thing the nail had a cut in it.. or the pressure would have been worse.
    The nail is finally growing back... sure look's ugly with my wedding ring on.. lol

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

10. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Was removing the hood from my K5 to install the new motor. I was using an air ratchet to remove the first side. I had already removed the bolts from the spring hinge and was working on the rear hinge when the hood decided to come down. [​IMG] My finger was mashed between the socket on the air ratchet(which was still stuck on the bolt) and the top of the fender. It mashed it so hard that my finger put a dent in the top of the fender. Took me a second to get my wits about me and use my other hand to get the hood up. I have hurt myself many times working on vehicles, but this one had to be the most painful! [​IMG]

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

11. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

this is my worst expeiriance ever! I was changing a rear end out on my old 67 chevy. I was removing the last u-bolt to slide it out from underneath when in slow motion the rear of the truck came down on my waist. I was lying on my side with my feet out towards the rear of the truck. the rear bumber slammed into my hip bone and i was pinned to the ground. I was so damn scared and nobody was home but me. But then I caught my wits and looked around. I saw one of the rear wheels was still under the axle and relized the whole weight of the truck wasnt on my hip. I actually dug a hole around myself with my hand and had just enough room to slide out...with no broken bones but some bad azz bruises. the reason the truck fell is because the piece of wood under one of the jackstands starting sinking in the ground and threw the trucks weight to the rear. Man that was a scary day!
    Justin

12. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I've told the whole long story before on this board, but I'll give a quick recap for the folks that hadn't heard. On a '79 Blazer I had in high school I was changing U-joints, popped the driveshaft out and it started rolling down the driveway with me underneath. The front axle mashed me down and broke my back, caused some internal bleeding...but I'm feeling much better now. I bet that makes all of you with banged up fingers feel a little better...or like a wuss. haha [​IMG]

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

13. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Acctually, I'm feeling really smart.

Just Kidding!! I'm glad you came out o.k.. Nothing like a few thousand pounds rolling over you.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://homepage.mac.com/toddcripps/Menu2.html>homepage</a>

14. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

HEY! This finger hurts damn it! haha. Actaully thats where I got the idea for posting this because after hearing your story before I knew there would are some serious battle damage stories out there.

I also got one where I was welding my floor to the rocker underneath and I caught my pants on fire. I also was pulling a fuel line of my tank and it finally gave and I ended up decking myself.

<a target="_blank" href=http://new.wavlist.com/movies/031/ag-blow.wav>"I ain't nobody, dork."</a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

15. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Yea well, being in a hurry and not putting safety first can be a real MF.
    It kind of felt like I was on a theme park ride...until the wave of pain hit me.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

16. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

You're right. I'm sure there are some other crazy stories out there. Why hasn't K30 responded yet? He's done enough stuff with enough trucks I'm sure he's got some good ones. lol Come on Wes!

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

17. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Glad you came out OK in the long run 73.

HEHE! The rest of yall are beginners! [​IMG] Lets see...Lost track of the # of stitches, 3 or 4 staples, almost lost right eye, Too many times I SHOULD have gotten stitches, Too many times I have super glued my skin back together (no joke) so I could stop the bleeding and keep working, broken left middle finger, almost lost left thumb working on a gate window regulator, When taking my Cherokee out of storage yrs ago I got stung by so many hornets, wasps or what ever, I had to be taken to the hospital and get hooked up to ALL the cool machines, dont even want to think of how many burns.

I jokingly say I have more scar tissue on my hands than I do regular skin. Even my finger prints are messed up.

I am not a super clutz, I have been working on cars and trucks since I could hold a wrench, and have been working on cars for a living for close to 15 yrs. I will say that the sight of your own bones will make even the toughest individual queasy. [​IMG]

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

18. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

The worst one would be when I rolled the Jimmy I got a concusion, compressed my spine 2.5", and was brused from head to toe. As for working on it quite a few busted knucles and cuts all over my hands.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

19. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well this one isnt really an injury, but a very near miss. I was working on the rear brakes, both sides at the same time, with my legs under the truck sittin on my butt at the brake drum. The truck was on jackstands and wood blocks. Well, she started sinking one stand into the driveway (pretty warm day on asphault) and it started to fall towards me. Well, instead of getting the heck out of the way, I (being the brain surgeon that I am) put out my hands and grabbed the fenderwell, and stopped the truck from falling. Now, there I was... holding the truck steady and by now the truck had come far enough that if I let go, I prolly couldnt get out of the way if I wanted to. I was yelling at the house, but with the windows closed for air conditioning, no one could hear. So, I resorted to tossing small (and gradually getting larger) stones at the window to get attention. Well, just short of cracking the window, the wife heard me and looked out. I was really sweating by this time, so she came scrambling out to help. I had to give her a verbal lesson on Hilift operation, very quickly and she jacked the truck off the one stand so I cou;ld get the stand up straight again and get out of the way.
    Like I said, apart from a sore back the next day, I survived, but coulda been bad.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

20. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Was putting in a hot motor in my 70 RS Camero (many years ago). In the shop we used to kick the stand over a bit to line things up ... well it's a bit different on a hard top parking lot. I grabbed the right fender jumped in the air several times to kick the base over ... I hit the lisence plate with my lower leg, which went between the two bones a long ways. Hit the nerve, but thank God, I didn't cut it!

On the K-5 ... What hurt the worst was backing in to a very stout light post ... hurt my bumper and my pride!