Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer ressurection?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KrebsATM02, Mar 2, 2004.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I haven't been posting for the last couple of months lately because I've been planning to build a buggy and researching alot for that.

But now I've been having dumb idea's about making a nice blazer out of the 2 I have now. It wouldn't be for wheeling, but more of a daily driver. I have crazy stupid ideas for putting in a diesel for better fuel enconomy and a little better pulling power. I'm thinking about either a 4bt or a 6bt with an nv4500.

So, my girlfriend and I are planning a last minute trip to big bend for spring break. She wants to ride horses one day, etc... , but some of the cool stuff says you need a 4x4 with high clearance. Now i'm not sure how they rate there trails, my f150 could probably do it, but I think if I took the blazer on a road trip I'd see if I want to go through with all this mess of the diesel gayness.

To fill you in on the blazer... Since I graduated college it has been parked at our ranch and has been used on the weekends to mess around in out there. I've had plans of selling it because I'm building a buggy soon, but now like I said previously, I might build it to be a nice daily driver and sell my F150.

Currently it has a chevy crate motor with less than 10,000 miles on it so I'm not worried about the motor for the trip. It has a sm465/208 and a 14 bolt in the rear, I'm worried about any of that stuff either.

So basically I have less than 2 weeks to get it ready for a 1300 mile round trip. The engine, tranny, t-case, and rear axle are mechically fine.

The thing I don't want to encounter in this trip are the things I've run into in the last couple trips with it. Such as the power steering falling off the motor or giving the last bump to kill the center pins by hopping a curb during the cibilo creek trip.

My list so far is:

Replace ball joints and worn out steering parts.
    Check all bearings and u joints.
    Change all fluids
    Check all brackets on engine.
    Check all center pins.

Things I'm doing for creature comfort's are:

Replacing the window seal
    Fixing the AC
    Adding insulation and a rubber mat

What other maintance items am I overlooking?

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

That list sounds like a good start. Just make sure you think of everything. I not sure if there are any parts stores in Alpine so the closest ones would be in El Paso. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

3. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I'll be spending time at my sister in laws ranch which is between Ft. Stockton and Marathon on 385. There county line for Pecos and Brewster county run through the middle of the ranch. I'm going to have to resist wheeling at the ranch, they have the highest point in one of those 2 counties.

Ft. Stockton has a couple parts stores, on the way to las cruces last year I had to drop my tank and replace the fuel pump.

Where are you from?

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Sounds like a badass trip! I had wanted to go to Big Bend for Spring Break, but I also thought I'd have a job by now. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Anyway, I live in Austin, and yes I wear sandals and have a ponytail, I'm the most hippy-looking conservative in the State... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif