Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blazer roll cage???????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wheelin_willy, Jan 24, 2003.

1. wheelin_willy

wheelin_willy Registered Member

does now if a blazer roll cage exists out there?(or at least something to protect the rear passengers with the top off) i like doing things myself and realize there isnt a bolt-in deal.
    i just dont want to spend 2500 for someone else to do it

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

3. wheelin_willy

wheelin_willy Registered Member

thanks for the site . it only offers a cab cage and nothing for the rear.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There is a 10 point cage available. BaBlazer73 has one and it's a full cage.

Rene

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Smittybuilt(sp?) makes a passenger/bed bar that fits under the hard top.

John

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

this is the cage that I'm planning on doing. I think its the best bang for the buck.

8. JayHornyak

JayHornyak Registered Member

I have the smitty bult roll bar and it is not too bab it rides about 4" bhind the rear of the cab into the shell of my 89 I wish it was more behind the rear seat though. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif <font color="brown"> </font color>

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I've been talking to Echobit to make me a rear hoop and a mid hoop for mine. Then I'm gona build the spreaders and build some triangulation into it myself. I like to do my own stuff to whenever I can. I don't have a bender so I contacted Echobit for those peices. I think he is probably already working on some 3d models for me. I can't wait to see them. This is an option for you though. The guy at Echobit will tell you straight out though that shipping is gona suck cause when buying hoops only you get the bulk of the shipping charges due to size of the hoops. Give him an email. Nice guy to work with.

10. blzn1

blzn1 Registered Member

dude, that roll cage is sweet!!!!!!!!!!!! I went to his house the other day and saw it is grade A quality. cool dude too!!!

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Kert, I just mailed you some starting points to build on. From here we just move things around, bend here and there until you get it where you like it... sneak peak?

[​IMG]

Rick's (Blz1) Blazer looks pretty good, fresh engine, 35's and locked in the rear. He had me drooling on his Thorley Tri-y's the whole visit - I should have wiped them off before he left! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

so how does the cage attach to the truck? Is that also a bolt in deal? Does it just attach to the body, or does it somehow find it's way to the frame? Now you've added another item to my wishlist /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

There are a lot of options when it comes to attaching the cage which is why I only supply the flat plates with bolt holes and hardware. My preferred method is to flat plate the bottom of the tubing with 4 bolt holes and drill the body for the bolt holes. On the opposite side you would add an identical flat plate with matching bolt holes, run 9/16" bolts for a pinch fit. You could run tubing from there down to the frame. At the frame, I'm torn between adding a bushing mount or solid mount (depending on the application). I like this route best because it gives you flexibility in removal and potential upgrades in the future without getting too permanent. Some gotchas there are in clearance at the bottom of the body where body mount beams can get in the way and effect hoop placement for tying it down. This is why I chose to weld my cage to the floor above the body mounts. Having a 79, my full top over prevents the cage from ever being removed anyhow, and adding cross tubing to mount the seats will prevent the cave from poking through the floor in a roll over. The half top models are my biggest reason for making a completely bolt together cage so that it could be assembled or removed without any problems... in fact, it can be assembled in the truck without really removing anything for the installation.

14. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Not a good idea to use identical plates. They should be diff sizes or shapes. If the plates are identical it fatuges and cracks the metal around the plates and it makes it easier for them to tear out

15. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I think it looks great. I got lots of ideas bumbling around upstairs. I just can't wait to get at it. Thanks again Mike.

16. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Your absolutely right. I did say identical plates for the sake of discussion but when it comes down to an install, body supports and other obstacles in the floor almost never allow for identical plates or matching plate edges. All the same, its an important correction to point out.

17. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

If you call them, they can sell you another main hoop, that you will have to cut down and fit and enough extra tubing to do whatever you want. I got my cage from them and considered doing the back, but decided not to. What they suggested was another main hoop, and another set of rear support bars. Tie the top of each hoop together and run the extra set lower on the sides of the main hoops. Call them. i used to get all my race car cages from them. The will do most anything you want. just gotta call! [​IMG]

18. k5lover

k5lover Registered Member

They sell Smittybilt weld in cage kits Here

19. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I figgured you knew that. Just wanted to help in the prevention of bootie-fab /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

how much for the rear hoop and a front hoop at the A pillar? shipping to central CA (merced CA) how much if picked up?