Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer rust question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Oct 16, 2001.

On the rear wheel well, what should the area where the side of the tub meets the bottom of the tub look like? Is it just a corner where the sheet metal is welded together or is it a rolled edge? Should there be any sealer or caulking?

A Blazer I am interested might have rust at that area but I'm just not sure if it is actually rust or something else.

1969 C20 4x4
    4" lift, 35x12.50x16 Super Swamper SSR's

1. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I can't picture what area you are looking at.
    Can you describe it a different way?

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

2. Wish I had a digital camera to take a pic. If you are standing at the rear tire looking in at the wheel well, it is the area where the bottom of the floor meets the side. Almost looks like some body put caulking or a tar like material on that edge.

1969 C20 4x4

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I get it now...
    That is how they are suposed to be. The wheel well is bolted to the floor and the caulking is to make it weather tight. The floor is rolled down and the wheel well is rolled in.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

4. Crushergmc

Crushergmc 1/2 ton status

It is common to have rust under that caulking too. :[

"KEEP IT DOWN"
    70 Jimmy, 454, 2wd
    56 GMC, Big Window

5. Glad it is probably supposed to be there. I was afraid there was just supposed to be side metal to floor metal and this one was rusted to the point where someone tried to fill in the rust with this caulking. If it is supposed to be there, I can handle a little rust that might have builded up there. With a little luck and some haggling I hope to buy this Blazer - then I will have to decide whether it needs to be lifted higher than my 69 K20. If I buy it I will get some pics asap.

1969 C20 4x4