Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blazer ?s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lugnut, Aug 3, 2001.

1. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

I am new here and hope you can help me out.I will be byeing a k5 after I sell my cj and have couple of ?s . What year did GM start puting emision control on k5s. My sub. is a 78 and has none is it the same for blazers? Did they just have a cat at first or did they go all out with emisions from the start? Also what was the last year of the full removeble top?Any thing else blazer specific to look for? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    welcome and thank you for selling the heep. i i were you and looking for a k5 this is what id look for. a 1975 w/ a standard tranny. this thing comes almost bullitproof outta the box. 465 tranny, 205 TC, 350 or 400 motor, 12 bolt and dana 44. and its full convertable. 68-72 and 73-75 were full convertables w/ 73-75 being the "newer model" id stay away from 80-88 10 bolts if i could. thats what id look for anyway. there is more to this but ill let other people answer.

Danny

sun desert offroad http://community.webshots.com/user/scoobydann

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

75's were the last of the full convertibles - and for everywhere except California, either 79 or 80 should be the last emission free years. While not entirely "eco-acceptable", my 85 has zero emission control components. The only real major thing to look for on a Blazer would be frame cracking around the steering box. Welcome aboard and have fun[​IMG]

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

4. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

Too my knowledge, 79 was the first to come with a Cat converter. I wouldn't worry about what year of truck you buy, unless your state has emission testing. Instead, look for a truck you like and is in good shape. Almost all the componets can be upgraded. For me it is easier to swap out parts than it is to get rid of years of rust damage. Unfortunatley my truck had rust and the weaker componets found in newer models. But it was cheap.

Keep it simple!