Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer Search - Needle in haystack

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by homemadesin, Aug 18, 2002.

1. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

Man, I've got the Blazer bug big time. I've got 5 or 6 I'm looking at right now, but they're all about even. Then I decided I should get what I really want - but can't find: a '72-74 Blazer with manual tranny (on the floor) and factory AC, working or not. The catch is I want something basically stock. I've seen alot that have this or that modified: two tone paint, massive lifts (4" or less is ok with me for daily driver) and endless auto trans. I'm no 4Wd guru, but I sure as hell like a std trans for off-roading, particularly in the CO mountains. I'm looking to spend between $7k and $10k for the right vehicle. Should I give up and buy A/T?

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

its goin to be tough to find...but you can always swap it to a standard /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

In that price range, you should have no problem finding a nice clean stock Blazer. Just keep looking.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Take your time....I had a similar budget when I was shopping, and it still took me about 8 months of looking (about 4 of INTENSE searches) to find what I wanted.

You'll get all sorts of answers about the Auto vs Stick thing. Personally, I love the AT in mine. The ultra-low granny gear in the manual trans is nice for crawling, but an auto can be driven more smoothly in really treacherous conditions....no clutch to mess with...!!

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

send this guy and email quetzal_sj@yahoo.com, he(LICO) had one a few months ago. He may still have it. not a show but has potential. with what he wants for it and what you want to put into it, you'll endup with a sweet ride.

ARQ.

6. 1972_K5

1972_K5 Registered Member

Don't count out e-Bay I have seen several nice Blazers in many different configurations on there.

7. homemadesin

I saw a swwwweeeettt one on ebay. Made a couple of bids, but was immediately outbid thanks to autobid. Its got a stock look (hugger orange) w/350 cid TPI engine. Damn sweet, but out of my range. The search continues.....

8. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

hey greg...just like the auto helped ya out in hollister...hahaha /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif that was a harry spot you rolled into /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Blazer Search - Another Source...

http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com

Try searching 1969-72 without regard to geographic location. You could also try the GMC Jimmy, my favorite....

I bet there's a nice stick out there somewhere. Good luck!

10. homemadesin

Re: Blazer Search - Another Source...

I've tried everything I could think of in collectorcartraderonline.com I have two saved searches, with '69 - 75 Chevy and same for GMC. You don't see too many GMC's though. I also look at cars.com and dealsonwheels.com. Any other sites I'm missing?

11. swede413

swede413 Registered Member

12. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

yes go with the automatic i have a nice 75 for sale at 4500 with the money you save you can find a 4 speed setup and swap it in i know who has that setup too it also has factory air that works

13. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Sweet and Cruel and cruel and sweet like...

Saving the searches will give you updated entries on collectorcar?

Try Hemmings Motor News - they sometimes have some nice K5s and the 67-72 truck BB...

http://64.246.42.114/vboard/forumdisplay.php3?s=ec5dc3946a8438720b936a53ad37b60a&forumid=8

....a good site for parts as well.

Sometimes the guys at www.rustfreeclassics.com have K5s, but don't let the name fool you...

You could also check the classifieds of major newspapers - pretty common to find them in Austin TX, for example - I would try NM and Arizona (especially Phoenix and Tucson) as well.

You might also talk to some of the vendors of parts (GMC Paul, Wes at Wes' Classic Heartbeat Products, etc). The guys at http://www.classicgmsports.com/ may be "more than happy" to help - they will find you a vehicle and restore it for you (or so they say).

If you get into the AT business, I may be willing to part with my 72 - I have a ton of spares left over from the GMC to go with it....

Good luck

14. homemadesin

Re: Sweet and Cruel and cruel and sweet like...

Thanks for the additional resources. Whether or not I break down and get an AT will depend on how long I can hold out /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif The mornings are getting cooler here in CO...not as many wheelin' daysa left in the year!

15. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

I have a very nice 71 Jimmy for sale.
    350 TBI w/ 700R4 & 3.73 Posi.. NO RUST!!!!!!!!!
    If you are interested, let me know and I will email complete details & pictures. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

16. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

How much are you asking?

17. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

18. jeffer

jeffer 1/2 ton status

Interestingly enough, I was in the opposite case as you. I was sure that I wanted an AT when I was looking for mine. Ended up with a MT and wouldn't trade it for a slush box for anything. I spent a good six months looking at lots of decent blazers AT/MT didn't matter, scoured the same sources as you. cars.com, collectorcartraderonline, thrifty nickel, all of the small papers etc. I drove to Idaho Springs, Fort Collins, Littleton, Bennet, everywhere to look. Just keep looking man you'll find it.

I ended up finding mine in the Boulder Daily Camera. '72, 350, SM465, 8000lb winch, hitch, underdash A/C for $2400. Has some rust in Rockers, original and untouched (many that I looked at were freshly painted (including tires) to cover up the sin underneath.) Bought it from the original owner. Patience pays. I'll keep my eye out for you locally. Where exactly are you?

Jeff.

19. homemadesin

Thanks again. I'm travelling on the east coast, looking in every nook & cranny while on business. There didn't seem to be a dman thing in Ohio Blazer-wise. Muscle cars galore.

20. moose71

moose71 Newbie

jost bought one down in albqurque mt with under dash a/c haven't seen it hoe I didn't get screwed but every thing here IN nebraska is always rusted so even if it in up having some rust i will be better off than i would have

MOOSE