Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer Seats

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 5130, Sep 28, 2001.

1. 5130

5130 Newbie

Sep 26, 2001
    I am wanting to put a bench seat in my 1980 K5. Has anyone done this? Will it work? What seat should I use? Any help and all details would be greatly appreciated.
    Also has anyone put in the LMC part #38-7984 tail pan to repair the rusted tailgate hinges. I read the tech tip on the repair idea. Would it be easier to just replace the whole thing?
    Thanks in advance for your help
  2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    You might try checking a Suburban. I know they came both bench and buckets, for the life of me, I'm not sure how the seats were bolted to the floor. I *think* that the K5 was the only truck that had the long "legs" on the seats. All the other C/K's had the "hump" that the seats sat on, so the seat tracks were very short assemblies. It very well may be that the seats tracks are in the same location, and could be made to work.

That said, I think the Factory benches in these trucks were not really that good. They don't last long before looking terrible, and they really aren't very comfortable. I'd bet a newer truck seat could be made to fit.

My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen
  3. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

May 8, 2001
    I have swapped a bench into an 80 suburban before. I suggest that you get a bench from either a blazer, suburban, or crew cab pickup. The seat that i had was out of a mid 70's chevy pickup. It was fine, except that the brackets for the back curved up to meet the back of the cab. It made for some creative welding. Other than that, you should have no trouble at all.

Don't get me started, you know how i get.