Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer shaking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Aug 11, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I already posted this but my Blazer shakes violently at highway speeds. Today I got my tires balanced and it still shakes just as bad. What else could it be? Balljoints? This is really annoying and I hate it that nothing ever works the first time I fix it or get it fixed.

90K5

2. James

James 1/2 ton status

Ujoints? Mine just went out on the freeway. Shook violently
    James

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I hadn't thought about that. I just looked in my Haynes manual and it said it might be the wheel bearings or loose or out of adjustment suspension parts.

90K5

4. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I just got the Blazer back from my Uncle's garage. It would start to shake at around 35 and it would get worse on the freeway. Got the tires re-balanced but still some vibration. So we replaced the ball joints and it runs smooth now. Hope this helps.

BLAZE IT UP!!!

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mine used to shake from 45-65 Mph. I got the tires re-balanced, replaced the shocks all around, then while I was rotating the tires I noticed the tread was pretty cupped on one front tire. The lower ball joint on passenger side was shot. I replaced all my ball joints and the vibration is gone. [​IMG]

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465/NP205,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress

6. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

mine shook like a bugger from the front end becuase one of the disk rotors was warped, just a suggestion

Your right I dont understand the jeep thing!?

7. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Check your front seals....if one is bad it will allow dirt and grime to get into your axle shafts. This happened to me once and when I took out my short axle shaft it had a cupped groove in it. I replaced it for next to nothing and while I was at it I also did new bearings and races. After that I could take her up over 90 mph and it was as smooth as a baby's a$$.

L8r,

.Riz.

8. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

This could be one too. If you have bashed the rig on the trai,l your drive shaft may have lost some weights and have become imbalanced. Though I would be leaning more toward your U-joints like the rest of the pack here. IS it under throttle or just rolling?

9. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Also, check to make sure your tranny housing bolts (to the engine block) are tight. My dad's 73 had loose bolts, and it shook like a sonofabitch. We tightened them as best we could, but the heads of some were embedded into the housing aluminum from the vibration. It made 100% difference. Good luck!

You can't beat going Topless!

10. James

James 1/2 ton status

Ressurection has a good point. I pulled my tranny last week and the two lower bolts on each side of bell housing were very lose. Me old 73k5 has so many damn shakes, rattles. vibes, shimmies, etc would of never noticed until the freaking tranny fell out lol. OH well its a chevy.
    Peace
    James

11. Mine is doing about the same thing right now (from about 50-75). When I let off the accelerator, I can hear the vibrating slow (like a slowing spinning), rattle a little, and then it stops (even while I am still moving). I have outside tread wear on my front tires. I did check my driveshaft and it didn't seem to be moving laterally too much (not enough to cause a vibration). Anyone have ideas between front ball joints and U-joints?