Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer Side Gas Tanks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kevinv, Jul 25, 2000.

1. kevinv

kevinv Registered Member

Has anyone succesfully converted to side gas tanks and installed the spare tire underneath like the pickups?

Thanks!!

2. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't know for sure, but I don't think there's room.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

3. azgmc

azgmc Registered Member

I for one wouldnt want to screw with it. Remember the stories of the 80's model GM trucks exploding when hit on the side?

Besides, a 40 gallon tank at 8 lbs a gallon would be a bit much to have on the side of the vehicle...

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Just in case anybody cares, the show that ran the footage of the Chev truck exploding on impact due to the side tanks later admitted that, for effect, they used explosive charges to ignite the tanks "just in case they didn't blow". I remember when they were forced by GM to make a public apology on a later show. Does anybody remember which show(60 minutes or one of those?) pulled the stunt?

In addition, I've seen lots of pickups with side tanks in accidents that haven't exploded. And how many 70's cars with the tank way in the rear didn't blow when they were rearended?

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

It was Dateline who rigged the truck explosion.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Thanks for the info, bro!

7. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Hi Kevin! Steve here....side tanks work fine on a Blazer. I have a home made set, 17 gal each. I did it
    for the range increase not tire relocation. I made cardboard mockups, then fabricated from
    16 ga steel sheet. Gas welded. I have friends who have done this too. Most have thru bolts to the
    body and another way is frame brackets. Here's the primitive spare mount method: (see attached)

SteveB