Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer Specs and Recommendations

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AZTBlazer, Apr 2, 2000.

1. AZTBlazer

AZTBlazer Registered Member

As some of you are aware I am looking for a blazer to purchase. I have now narrowed it down to a 73-75, I want the full removable top, and the 71-72 would be harder to find parts for. I just wanted to ask of you guys any thoughts you may have that I may look for in a K5. I want a 350, with an auto and air (I live in AZ). Besides ps and pb I really dont need anything else, although it would be nice. Is there any certain type of blazer that I should be aware of, or was there any certain options that would help in offroading that I should look for that someone has already added on?? I need it to be fairly good gas mileage and a daily driver that will look good, but I also want a nice and capable off roading vehicle. I dont really know too much about these year blazers and any help would be appreciated.
    Tom
    1971 Suburban K10 "Barnyard on Wheels"

2. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Tom...really want to check out that 71 K10 Burban as we just bought a 72 K10 Burban as a project truck. Okay on to the K5's...73 to 75 full removeable tops aren't cheap ethier...it'll cost a nice chunk of doh to reseal her...76 to 91 are all the same but with some minor diffs...76 - 77...sameo...78 they moved the floor pan back to gain foot room for the passengers...79 was the first year for the gas cap to have a lid ( also 78 was the first year for power rear gates...and the 78 and 79 to 91 gate wiring was totally different)...80 came with a new grille design much like that of the 79 model year except you could still opt to get the round headlights instead of the square ones..also all 80 K5's had slip yoke NP205's...a nice t-case to have...81 came with the new front clip that was used till the phase out in 91...only the grilles change from here up..84ish the CCC carb unveiled its knarly little head and was used until it was replaced in 87 with TBI....other than that the only major change i can think of was the departure from our beloved Dana 44 and Corp 12 Bolt rears in favor of the yucky 10 bolts...along with progressively lighter t-cases...and in 89 the dash changed just a smigin as they opened up the dash a little wider to install those huge radios...so if you want dependibility and fuel mileage stick with the 87 to 91's...actaully either way you go you will have to do some tweaking to arrive at a happy medium...hope this helps.

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

3. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

I've heard that the 73's had some problems but don't have any first hand experience with them. I have a 75 and love it. Rust is a big thing on them though. Being in AZ you probably wouldn't have a problem with that. It takes two people to get the top to reseal right also. One to line up the outside and hold it while the other tightens the bolts inside. You will end up with an NP203 TCase with the auto, that is not necessarily bad. I've had good luck with the NP203's in my trucks. You can look at http://www.slosh.com/cars/brochures to see original brochures of the 73-75 K5 Blazers. Check the frame behind the steering wear box for cracks. They have a bad habit of cracking there. My personal opinion is that the 73-75 is a very good choice. Good luck!

David 75K5

[​IMG]http://www.renschler.org/~goldrush