Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer stalled today

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Jul 11, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Today my Blazer stalled going down the street. At first it sputtered a little and then it died. I pushed it to a parking lot which was a little uphill. Not too bad but that thing is heavy. It started again once I got in the parking lot, (not in the street naturally) but it died again. Then I came back a few hours later and it started fine and I drove it home. Does anybody know what the hell is wrong with it? Thanks in advance

90K5

2. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

My 89 has over 140,000 miles and a couple of months ago it started hesitating when I hit the gas and wouldn't go over 25 mph. My brother-in-law (a mechanic) said it was probably my oxygen sensor. I replaced that and it helped a little, but the real problem was the fuel filter which is mounted on the frame on the passenger side. I replaced that and all is well. You can tell a fuel filter is clogged if you can't blow through it and feel the air out the other end. Hope this helps!

Chevy's RULE!

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Actually right after I posted that I figured out that the problem was the alternator. I went t oAutoZone and got one. I also replaced the O2 semsor and fuel filter not very long ago. But thanks anyway

90K5

4. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

That happen to me on the way to school one day my gauges went nuts then my moter started to hesatate and died when I got to school I had to replace my alternator too

[​IMG]Go prepared

I have a Shotgun a Rifle and a 4WD(K5) and Country Boy Can Survive!!!!

5. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

My 73 is doing the same thing now, far as I can tell the most popular thing to do in this situation to check first is the fuel filter. After that I'm going for a new ignition module on mine.

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

6. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

when the alt. goes out, doesnt the truck ru on the battery for a while, or did you kill that too?
    does anyone recommend a reasonably priced high amp alt.?

Knife.

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Actually I put the alternator on today and it started right up. I went to AutoZone to get my $30 for the core and when I left the Blazer started and I backed up and it died. They tried to jump it and it didn't work. Then they charged my battery and it was still not turning over at all. Then they got a new battery and it turns over now but doesn't start. By this time I was already an hour and a half late for work and I got a ride. My Blazer is spending the night at AutoZone.[​IMG] The guy there said to replace the ignition module but I don't know if hes right. If anybody knows what I should do please post something. This really sucks. I've been driving my mons van[​IMG] BTW they let me keep the new battery[​IMG]

90K5

8. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

If it's fuel injected check the fuel pump. That's what it sounds like. There should be a test fitting like a valve stem. turn the truck to on then push the valve gas should shoot out like hell if it doesn't its the pump. You can also try hitting the tank to shake it. Just like a starter bang on it and it may work a few times...

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I had thought about the fuel pump but I took a sparkplu wire off and tried to start it and there was no spark so its something in the ignition system or starter.

90K5

10. Whii338

Whii338 Registered Member

make sure you check the distributor cap and rotor button....i've had a few GM's with HEI(including my 88'k5) and that sounds kinda familiar, anyways its a cheap thing to check before you get really deep into replacing s#@$! just my 2 cents

11. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the distributor, I had something similar happen to my 84before a long trip to the lake, thank god it happened to me while I was in town

12. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I don't have enough time to fix it so I took it to a shop[​IMG] and they said they would have to overhaul the distributor. Some of the stuff they told me was true but I dont know about the overhaul part. I guess you have to take a little BS when you take it to a shop. They blamed it on the voltage of the MSD ignition but I think that 130,000 miles contributed a lot more than that.

90K5