Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer tailgates - I'm new here!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KBK5, Mar 26, 2002.

1. KBK5

KBK5 Registered Member

Blazer tailgates - I\'m new here!

Been reading for a while and just got back on line. I've noticed LOTS of good info and questions. Same as some of mine.
    Has anybody trashed their "second gen" K5 tailgate for a PU tailgate and made a "flip up" window out of, say lexan, anycamper back windows or such? I HATE THAT ROLLUP!!

I will be on the other forums from time to time as I have had my '77 for 12 hears now and just can't part with it. Talk about reliable.

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Re: Blazer tailgates - I\'m new here!

i have a pick-up tailgate, but i also have a softop, so i cant help ya on the rear glass idea.

3. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

ON THE TAILGATE THING. WHAT YEAR TAILGATE WILL FIT MY 85 K5 AND ARE THERE ANY NEEDED MODS.TO DO THIS OR JUST A BOLT ON DEAL? I ALSO HAVE A SOFT TOP AND WILL NEVER PUT MY HARD TOP BACK ON. *** ANY WAY TO SAVE ON WEIGHT ***

4. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

well, i thought that 73-80 pick-up tailgates on same year blazers, and 81-91, but i bought my tailgate from MTPockets, and his was a 79 mineis an 89 and it fit great.

as far as mounting it, the brackets are the same ones used on a pick'up and the holes are all ready threaded on the rear of the K5. it was a true bolt-on...no modification needed. there was some thought on exhaust gasses coming in, but i have a side exit pipe and have never smelled fumes. some say they are drafty in the winter and rattle, but i havent had this problem, the soft top is already i little "cool" in the winter, and since any drafts would be coming from the very back, i didnt notice any. mine doesnt rattle, at least no louder than the swampers!!!

JCwhitney has a tailgate seal kit that is for pick'ups that carry camper shells. its a seal that goes around the tailgate and seals the tailgate similiar to the seal on the original blazer tailgate. this would keep it from rattling and reduce the drafts/fumes.

i hear ya on the weight savings too!!

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

You would think that because of the fact that ALL Blazers have the same tail gate problem that someone would put out the parts needed to fix it. The ONE PART that fails in the window mechanism is this little gear and the pin that shears. Does anyone have that part? NO!... LOL! Even if you buy the whole damn tailgate new it doesn't come with that one little gear thingy that connects the handle mech. to the window mech. Geeesh! I don't know what to tell you other than hit all the junk yards...

6. KBK5

KBK5 Registered Member

Yeah mine is broke too along with the scratched up glass and rusted out torsion arm mounting area. I'm still pursuing the "flip up" window. I already have a PU tailgate the same color with all the mounting hardware.