Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer tank in shortbox

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MNorby, Dec 10, 2002.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The base of my truck is a 86 GMC shortbox with dual saddlebag tanks. I have been contimplating the idea of a blazer or burban tank between the rails instead of the saddlebags. Has anyone done this swap or have pics? About the filler hose would it be possible to run a longer hose from the factory fuel tank doors infroont of the wheels to the tank behind or is that just asking for trouble? Thanks.

2. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I swapped a burban tank in my LWB, a Blazer tank will fit
    just fine. I think the neck is too high to run to the original fuel door. I ran mine up inside the bed close to the tailgate in the corner. Works great!! I am going to build a custom tank when I bob the bed. The 40 gal burban tank is too big to fit in the SWB.

3. MNorby

cool. Do you have any pics? what was needed to be done to extend the fuel lines and gauge sending unit stuff? Pretty straight forward on the brakets?

4. TWISTEDJACK

Pretty simple to make the brackets. I had to run all new lines because I was installing fuel injection at the time.
    For the filler I used one of the original necks and a piece of radiator hose. Boxed in the neck in the corner of the bed so it doesn't look like a hillbilly did it. You could stretch the original lines from one of the tanks probably.
    Sorry but I don't have any pics. When I bob the bed I am going to move one of the original doors up so it will fill like a blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. TWISTEDJACK

Pretty simple to make the brackets. I had to run all new lines because I was installing fuel injection at the time.
    For the filler I used one of the original necks and a piece of radiator hose. Boxed in the neck in the corner of the bed so it doesn't look like a hillbilly did it. You could stretch the original lines from one of the tanks probably.
    Sorry but I don't have any pics. When I bob the bed I am going to move one of the original doors up so it will fill like a blazer.

6. MNorby

cool. Thanks for the info.
    Would it be too long and not steep enough of an angle to run some sort of filler hose from the factory doors to the rear. Afraid it would back up and take a long time to fill up.

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Thats what I'd be worried about. My friend but a Suburban tank in his K20 - right above the rear end - its got a huge lift - and cut a hole in the bed for the filler neck. It takes forever to fill it up, sice its at a different angle i think, and the pump can't seal it off, makes the pump keep turning off.

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Done! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    [​IMG]

The Burb tank is 36" long and won't fit under a shortbox without moving the bumper out. If you try it on a 1-ton, you might lose one shock (like I did - Doh!)

9. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I put a tank out of a 87+ suburban in my K10. I built my own brackets. It hangs down kinda low because it is against some brackets (for the spare?), but I plan to cut them out and raise the tank for more clearance. I just extended all the hoses and gauge wire to the new tank. I ran a piece of pipe and a couple old radiator hoses for the filler along the inside of the frame. I was able to keep the filler in the stock location(stepside bed) and it fills just fine, but that may change when I raise the tank. I like having the bigger tank, except for filling it up, because I can go 200 mi. on a full tank instead of 80 with the single stock tank.

Sorry no pics yet.

10. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I just got done doing this to my truck. I used a 31 gallon k5 tank. all I did was turn the back crossmember up side down, drilled two holes in it for the straps. for the other end of the tank I took the spare tire hanger crossmember and mounted it on top of the frame, I boxed the crossmember in to make it stronger, then drilled two holes in it for the L end of the straps. for the top straps I took 2 peciecs of 3ft by 1 3/4 stainless flat bar, 1/8 think. bent and formed it to the tank. then drilled and tapped holes to bolt it to the frame. keep in mind that I have a flatbed and the frame is bobbed off. the tank sits up out of harms way so you might have to cut a hole in the bed of your truck if you do it this way, but atleast the tank wont hang down. If you have anymore questions let me know. I dont have any pics of the conversion yet, but I could get some for you if you need them (probly next week before I could get them).

11. MNorby

pics would be awesome. I guess my biggest dilema now is fabbing up a fuel door of sorts

12. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

if you are going to cut a hole in your bed, the easiest way to make the fill hose easy to get to, would be to mount it to the inside of the bed. this way all you would have to do when you fill it would be to open the tailgate. this way you dont have to cut up the side of your box.

13. TWISTEDJACK

Yeah, I forgot to mention that you need to cut out the crossmember for the spare tire. Mine sits even with the
    reciever hitch. I will try and get some pics taken.

14. TWISTEDJACK

I found one picture. Not a very good one. This is a 40 gallon in a LWB. [​IMG]

15. MNorby

thanks for the pic. do you ever have problems dragging the tank on stuff? My concern about putting the filler in the bed like on the corn wouldprobably need to put in a shield around it so stuff in teh bed doesn't mess with it.

16. TWISTEDJACK

No problems yet dragging the tank. Normally if you clear the diff you clear the tank. I also notched the bed crossmember so the hose has a straight shot instead of a loop. I built a flip door to protect the neck inside the bed. When I bob the bed I am mounting a fuel door in the side like a Blazer or a bulk tank in the bed. You will like the weight over the rear of the truck. It made mine feel more balanced and stable. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

17. 79Silv4x4

79Silv4x4 Registered Member

18. MNorby

cool. I wish I would have thought of this when I replaced the back 1/2 of the frame with the bed off.

19. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

why couldn't you use the filler tube notch out or tunnel from a blazer? (you know the part in the bed that forms a tunnel for the filler) then you could get a hole saw and cut the bed and bolt up the filler tube and put on a cap. am i missing something? is there some kind of frame interference on the Long beds? i want to do this to my 76 long box.