Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer virgin

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dpgold, Sep 8, 2001.

1. dpgold

dpgold Registered Member

I just bought my first 4x4; a 71 CST K5 (no idea what any of that means). I LOVE this truck. One problem. At about 50 mph & up she likes to "wander" from time to time. I replaced the draglink and centerlink tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints, sleeves, etc. She's still wandering (but not as bad). I'm going to put on a set of shocks this weekend and see if it helps. I have looked for cracks in the frame, but haven't found anything. Any suggestions/tips are GREATLY appreciated.

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

congratualtions!! you're riding one of the most wanted 4x4s around. you should feel proud.

how is your steering shock, the one that goes horizontal on the front suspension.

Also give a little more info on the size of tires, lift, etc that you use.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

3. dpgold

dpgold Registered Member

Thanks for responding. I have a 3" lift with 31" BF Goodrich Radials (as purchased). Have not touched the steering kit up front. Am adding Rancho RS9000's tomorrow.

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the steering gearbox is worn out. Replace it and it will ride like new. My firebird and my GTO needed new gearboxes to keep them from wandering.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

5. MikeLandmeier

MikeLandmeier Newbie

I've had mine for 15 years. This truck is going to wander, especially with 31" tires. You checked the frame for cracks. Thats good. Also check for loose rivets. A few years back I had some play in the up front frame rivets that allowed the cross member to move around. A few welds tighened that up.

6. dpgold

dpgold Registered Member

tHANKS, i'M GOING TO TRY REPLACING THE STABALIZER FIRST ($35). THEN THE STEERING BOX ($250).

7. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

CST means California or Colorado sissy truck, Crushes small toyota's LOL You picked a good 4x4 later
    1 FN HI K5

8. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

When I got my Blazer, it had all new front suspension stuff and I had it aligned (steering box was OK). It still wandered like crazy. Fixing the tire pressures to reasonable levels (the pressures were all too high) solved the wandering problem.

Oh, CST means Custom Sport Truck. Mine's a cheaper version...

9. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

OK, First, congrats on your new roadster! You have a definite head turner, especially when you take the top off (this is a must-do!).

CST means "custom sport truck" and is the upgraded trim level....woodgrain trim and tailgate outside, and inside. Also has the scrollwork embossing in the seats (front and rear). Will you post pics at some point? We like to see each others' rides!

Lastly, DO CHECK THE RIVETS FOR THE FRONT SPRING MOUNTS(drivers side)...I replaced them w/ grade 8 bolts because the bracket was moving around, and I have no more wandering (77,000 miles). Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth (engine off) while you look for movement. This is the cheapest of all the potential fixes. I'd check this first!
    Good luck (oh,and btw: fill out more of your profile, you're family now!)

"High compression engines take longer to start!"<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Ressurection on 09/09/01 11:06 PM.</FONT></P>

10. dpgold

dpgold Registered Member

Thanks. You've been no help whatsoever (LOL).
    God Bless America.

11. dpgold

dpgold Registered Member

Thanks. I'll do that. I just bought a digital camera but am still trying to figure out how to make a "photo album" online. I'll update the profile.

12. surf1dano

surf1dano Registered Member

ditos on all previouse solutions. your steering box has an adjustment. Check it for play by turning the wheel with the motor off. if you have extensive play then adjust the box. there is a lock nut with an allen screw through the center. loosen the nut and tighten the screw. do this in small amounts until you have no more play. also make sure your truck has the spring block that mounts to the frame behind the drivers side. this should be positioned all the way up to the rear part of the spring. just my 2 cents