Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer vs Pickup

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rudycentral, Jun 6, 2002.

1. rudycentral

rudycentral Registered Member

My wife and I are considering buying another truck. I had an 84 K5 blazer 1 year ago... The body was shot - rust in all the normal places. Now we are selling our Contour and need another winter/toy vehicle. This will be a 3rd vehicle so I have some time to work on it. I have no experience with body, but engine, and drive train I can do...

With that said what are the pro's and cons between the Blazer and a shortbox Pickup?
    Just joined you site - this place rocks! You have put together a wealth of information for all Chevy truck owners.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I had a couple of pickup trucks around 25 years ago. It seemed like far too often I needed to haul more than the 3 people that could easily fit into the cab of the pickup. (Of course, a crew cab would resolve that!). But I also didn't like the limited interior storage available in a pickup. I had to leave stuff laying in the bed, where it was ripe for being ripped off. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif So I started looking around at other options. I bought my first K5 in 1981. I've since owned 3 other K5's, an S-Jimmy and 2 Suburbans. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif When I need to haul dirt, rocks, etc. I just borrow a trailer from a buddy. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I've owned both and have gotten more use out of my blazer...plus it's better for offroading IMO.
    Blazer's are trucks...just a little shorter wheelbase and a removable top and more passanger space /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    I love my blazer!

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

It depends on your application. I would personally much rather have a p/u but the K5 was free so I'm stuck with it. I don't have the backseat in the K5 anyway so it's basically a 2 seater and I end up hauling more cargo( ie dirt, mulch, lumber) which is more suited to a long bed. If your worried about leaving stuff in the bed than just get a used camper or cap, they ain't that expensive. Plus you can get a 3/4 or 1 ton p/u and not worry about the axles snappin like twigs. But I guess the K5 would be better on certain obstacles off-road where you need a shortwheelbase, and it's sure is a helluva lot bigger than a j**p.

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i love my suburban!! sometimes i wish i could haul dirt or nasty stuff like dirty engines but i make up for it with my passenger carrying capabilities.

oh and there's only been one hill i haven't been able to climb that i've tried so far!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif i love my suburban/forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

I wanted a truck that I could take my wife and son and dog in. I have a 5x8 galvanized frame utility trailer for when I need to haul anything too large for the back. Its not a perfect system but it works for me.

7. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Ya...same here. I just hook up a trailer and go. It beats lifting axles up into a bed!

8. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

the only problem i have with a trailer is that they charge me when i take it to the dump, but if i had a p/u i wouldn't have to pay extra. although my trailer is 10 ft long and they told me it is because it was longer than a p/u but i can bring a p/u as many times as i like but the trailer is $15 per visit.

9. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I vote for Blazer!

Marv

10. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

If you plan on having people ever ever ride with you or plan on travelling go with the blazer owned both longbed and shortbed chevy's and this is my first blazer and love it way more than the others...its like a covered cargo area with a convertable topwhen you just want to show jeepers fullsizes can do it as well. Blazers also stand apart from the GM crowd in my opinion. I tow alot and get loads of dirt etc. Just now I use a trailer. Overall I have a better peice of mind in the since of nothing inside getting ripped off however I have a hightened sense of fear of someone stealing the whole blazer from my front yard after stories I read on here!

11. rudycentral

Thanks a lot for you input. Based on the commentary I believe that I will attempt fo go for the Blazer!

I have found about 4 in the area. Need to make a choice... Bone stock 1986 and all original - no rust a raity in MI. 80K mi for $4800
    or
    Looks great! Stock + Suspension lift 85K mi for $5500.
    or
    Ok body needs some minor patch and Paint. Edelborck carp headers, rebuilt 700r4 with 4.56 gears fore and aft auburn pro series posi in the rear and a lock right locker. 4" sykjacker lift trans temp guage and tack, Sun Roof? and 2 KC lights and finally 33" BFG. - this one is $3000
    or
    1985 KN filter RS900 (wtf?) 33" BFG warn winch 4" lift, dual thrusher (exhasust?) headers, some fog lights? for only $3849

Just a few chioces...

12. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

u an offroader, hittin trails big as you can when u can? or just want sumpin to get you to the duck blind through the snow and some mud? offroad, last one soundz good, cuz i HEAR, tranny rebuilds for 700r4's aren't good, also drive ALL of them. for jus regular use, i like the 1st one, 80K is good, mine soundz jus like that when i bot it in feb, cept 87 wit 134k, and got it for 4200 cuz owner was idiot. so jus see what you like and need

Brett

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I think everyone need's a Blazer and a truck /forums/images/icons/wink.gif thats how I solved my problem /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. rudycentral

That seems to be the one my wife likes too. Hopefully I will be checking it out this weekend.
    This will be a 3rd vehicle and used for mainly off-road (I am just getting started). I had a K5 with 4" lift and loved it. I donated it to charity (too much rust for me) and now I see it around town and kick myself, except got a huge tax cut. It would have cost more to keep and fix than to get a new one.

It will function as an ocassional driver when on of my other 2 cars are down for maint. Other than that some snow duty and the trials up north by my inlaws cottage. Does anyone know some good spots in MI to get me going?