Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer vs. Plymouth Breeze

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by goldwing2000, Apr 21, 2007.

1. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Got rear-ended by a drunk driver last night. I was three blocks from my house and this guy plowed into me as I was waiting to turn left. The eyewitness said he was travelling around 40-45 mph before he hit the brakes, so I figure he was doing about 30 by the time he hit me. I still barely felt it. :D
    Funny thing is... I almost drove the Mazda instead of the Blazer. That would have been a disaster. As it was, he definitely got the shïtty end of the stick!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The asshole did bend my frame when he smacked the trailer hitch but if the hitch hadn't been there, he would have been right into my gas tank.

[​IMG]

So now I have to pull the hitch, pull the tank, blue wrench the frame and try to bang it flat.

Damn drunk drivers.:mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2007
  2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Whatever you do, don't do anything until the insurance company has inspected the damage.

3. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Michigan is a no-fault state and I don't have collision coverage. My insurance company won't care about the damage and his won't be covering it.
    We do have a torte law that will get me $500 from his insurance company, but that's it.

4. 4X4HIGH

So how does that work, someone rear ends you and they don't have to pay? WTF.

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Yep. That's how it works. You carry your own insurance on your own vehicle and that's what pays for any repairs. If one or the other driver is found "substantially at fault" (generally speaking, if a ticket is issued), then the insurance companies battle it out between themselves for re-imbursement.

The only time that the other driver's insurance pays for anything is if there is personal property damage (non-vehicular) or injury.

6. 4X4HIGH

Well, guess that's something to be thankful for in California. Here if you get rear ended it is their fault automatically and their insurance (if they have any) pays for your damage. I personally carry full coverage on my blazer and liability with comp. on my other car and both have uninsured/under insured motorist.

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Yeah, I have liability and comp but I figured that it's cheap enough to fix the Blazer (and it's more likely to survive an accident, as we can see!) that the doubled (tripled?) premiums for collision just weren't worth it.

I carry full coverage on my bike and my car, though. Both expensive to fix and both quite fragile, comparatively.

8. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Good no one was hurt. One of these days people will learn to pay attention to whats in front of them while driving. Bet he thought he hit a wall at first.:D

9. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

That happend to me a while back I was going across a main road when i hear a lown moawer pull its e-brake then I felt like some lil kid rode thier bike into my bumper:D.

I get out and thier it a honda CIVIC sitting there totaled:haha: Whole front end smashed in like 2 feet all my friends were waiting at the corner and saw it all so i had no problm with the insurence.

BTW all that was done to my truck is his HONDA wiped the dried mud off my bumper :haha::haha::haha:

10. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

BTW all that was done to my truck is his HONDA wiped the dried mud off my bumper :haha::haha::haha:

:bow:I LOVE MY TRUCK!!!:bow:

11. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

You might want to check on that again. When I switched from liability to full coverage on my K5, it was only $24/year difference in price!!

Glad to see you didnt get hurt! Did the drunk bastage get what he deserved?

12. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I've checked. Michigan has one of the highest insurance rates in the country. I'll call them again just to check it out, though.

As far as the drunk bastage, he was in the back of the squad car when I left, so I have to assume he's probably still cooling his heels in Inkster lockup. I'll find out when I call for a copy of the police report.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

****ty, can't believe states do **** like that. In PA, it doesn't matter if someone in front of you randomly decides to put ont heir E-brake 65mph, whoever hits the other in the rear is at fault and their insurance is going to have to pay.

Hell I just bought my new Lincoln 255C with the money from an old timer who hit me a couple months back. He t-boned me, just minor damage, but his insurance company ended up paying me $2,000. My door is still badly dented, and I have a brand new MIG.

14. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Well, here's an interesting twist.

The Michigan mini-tort law entitles me to $500 from his insurance company.

I got a couple estimates today and a shop would charge me $400-500 to fix the frame. So now, do I:

A. Pocket the $500 and do the work myself (drain and drop the tank, remove the hitch from the frame and then hammer both straight amidst a shower of rust and mud) or
    B. Have the repair shop fix the frame on the pulling machine and pocket the difference.

Hmmm... :thinking:

15. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

have the frame fixed right. the problems caused by a bent or twisted frame are too numerous to list, and often take a long time to show up, but by the time they do, a bunch of stuff is fubar.
    that may be the crappiest thing i've ever heard! in texas, if you hit someone, your insurance pays. then, you pay and pay and pay. it's a nice incentive to drive carefully. in my case, i've been hit 5 times. never my fault, so the other guy's insurance payed for repairs. but, twice, the morons had no insurance, so my company paid me, then sued them for the repair costs, court fees, etc. the guy that totalled my old honda ended up paying over 15 grand for wrecking a car that was bluebook valued at 3200. haha. idiot. just get some dang insurance. it's the law, anyway.