Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer vs Suburban

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BiggerIsBetter, May 7, 2003.

1. BiggerIsBetter

BiggerIsBetter Registered Member

I am trying to decide whether my next off road vehicle should be a Blazer or a Suburban based on the frame length and body. I don't care about comparing the drivetain and suspension as to that will all be swapped out. What are the pros and cons of a Blazer vs Suburban that will be used in the mud, sand, and rocks? Any info would be appreciated.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I am trying to decide whether my next off road vehicle should be a Blazer or a Suburban based on the frame length and body. I don't care about comparing the drivetain and suspension as to that will all be swapped out. What are the pros and cons of a Blazer vs Suburban that will be used in the mud, sand, and rocks? Any info would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]
    4 feet and two doors.

3. BiggerIsBetter

lol, thanks. Actually I was wondering which performs better due to the wheelbase.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The Burb will be better in some situations, but the Blazer will be better in more... Especially in CA, there's lots of trails around here that are hard enough to get a SWB fullsize through, let alone a Burb.

So is the Blazer on 44s just for cruisin at the mall or what? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif</font>

5. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

The Suburban does not like trail riding. Trees, tight turns, and is easly high centered where a K5 with the same lift will not hit. I own a suburban with 7" on 35's and I would suggest getting a K-5 since they are basically the exact same truck but the K5 has the benefits of a shorter wheelbase and can manuver through trails without body damage. The only advantages of the suburban would be hella storage capacity and being the biggest truck on the trail. I am giving up on my burby for my ultimate wheeling machine and I am starting on my K5 wheelin machine this summer. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

It all depends how you look at it, but the K5 would be better in most situations, including turning radius. However, the wheelbase of the Burb helps in some situations. My friend has a Bronco, and where he'd get his axles crossed up and need his lockers, I could breeze through in 2wd. Overall, I'd say if you do general light wheeling and some stuff on harder trails where turning radius is not important, you can use a burban, but I'd go with the K5 all around.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The 'burb has a couple of serious deficiencies if you plan any hard core off road stuff. The breakover angle is abysmal, as is the rear overhang. That back bumper is WAY behind the tires! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It can get you to a lot of places, but a K5 will get you to many more with much less fanfare. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif But the 'burb sure is more comfy to sleep in the back of! :thunb:

8. BiggerIsBetter

[ QUOTE ]
    So is the Blazer on 44s just for cruisin at the mall or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm sorry to say thats true, but as soon as I graduate high school next month I can get a job and fix up my Blazer for off roading, and buy a CK5 membership /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

9. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

I've got a burb, but I want a K5 for two reasons not listed above...

1. You can take the top off!
    2. You can take the top off!
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

If ya get a K5 and decide you'd rather have a burb, come find me....maybe we can work out a trade./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Blazers never came with 4L80E's, at least a few Burbs did /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif (*cough* mine *cough*)

11. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

O listen to him gloat! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the only REALLY kick azz hardcore burb I have ever seen is Waddels... and with the chopping off of 3' of the back end + moving the rear axle forward, it pretty much is a blazer...

j

13. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Refer to your username, so what was the question???? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

14. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

if you do mostly sand and mud a burb will be fine. a burb also has about the same wheelbase as a longbed pickup but has a bit more ass end overhang. like the adult diapers- it depends /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif depends on what you want to do in it. i think a lifted burb looks bad ass. you could always put some rear stearing rockwells in there to help with the turning radius, and if you are getting high centered- lift it more /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Jason (cornfed) Burb is also bad ass, But as the body shows, they are pretty bulky for tight trails, [censored] i have problems fitting my k5 in places, i couldnt imagine doing it with a burb, im sure id have a few more dents then i already have....