Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer with barn doors

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SickboySS, Dec 11, 2002.

1. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

hey guys, i've been thinkin bout this idea in my head for a while. i live in massachusetts and the back end of 88 is startin to look really bad, and the underneath too, so we're gonna find anothe tub. but anyways, my idea is, for the winter, graft on a set of barn doors from a burb (i know i'll have to customize the top) so it wouldn't have the rust like the tailgate does...and for the summer take off the top and doors and put on the soft top with just a normal truck tailgate, whadda ya think? can it be done?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Here's a idea for ya. Cut the window part of the barn doors off. Make them the same hight as the original tail gate. Now for the window, modifie the topper to have a window like the first gen models. Than you can run your "Shortie" barn doors tail gate year round. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

hmmmm, good idea, easier than the first one....this is actually turning out to be a good idea

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah what z3pr said would be awesome. only i'd have a nice soft top with a back window. oh this is for winter huh? yeah what z3pr said then. but leave the doors in year round.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Of course Suburban barn doors rust out just as bad as Blazer tailgates. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Nobody has ever done that......well except me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And mine works just fine with a soft top as well as a stock hard top.
    [​IMG]
    Just have to make a bridge for over the gate for the window to hook to like jeeps have.
    [​IMG]
    More pictures and how to do it for the soft top here.
    http://coloradok5.com/stcreview.shtml
    I use a peice of 1/4 plexi for the hard top window with a 1x1 aluminum angle for the bottom and rigged up a bracket to hold the window up so no need to move the window 99% of the time because for just throwing small stuff in. Only time the window needs to com out for big stuff.
    It cost about $80 in materials to make. Main frame is 1x2 1/8inch wall box. Hinges are 3/4 inch Heim joints. I can sit on the spare tire (I weigh 215) and my 10 year old kid can swing the gate with 2 fingers on level ground

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah I have seen this one, I just forgot it was You.
    By the way, do you have the rear window fixed to the top?
    I was just thinking of doing mine since I broke it on the Rubicon.
    I was thinking either get plexiglass stick it in the groove and bolt it, or make a hinged from the top glass.
    What did you do?

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It just slides in like the nomal window with a hook to hold it up. Would work good with a truck tail gate since the latch is out side. If I need to get in there then just undo the latch at each cornet and the window falls out. Only down side is it scratches easy,

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Thanks just what I thought.
    I am picking up a truck on friday for parts I might take the tail gate and use it like that.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

i like yours, it gives me ideas. if i did do the half door idea tho, i'd like to use burb bottom halfs cause they retain the lines of the truck like the tailgate does. i like the idea very much tho, thanx

11. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

hey sickboyss, i see that you just regestered here late november.. you might know already but in case you don't a bunch off us new england folk are meeting up for the first time this saturday, (14th). were meeting at the cog railway station at 2 pm for some chit chat them off to a place for some dinner.. there must be like 20 of us going.. do a search here on ck5 for "december meet in new england" and you'll find some more details...

i saw you were from mass so its not that far of a drive. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

GRIM This is very very very cool and looks like a great job of putting it together my hat is of to ya !!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

13. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

I thought about doing this a long time ago and still want to. One thing is with the suburban rear doors it requires a different tailpan, but mine is trash anyway. I figure make the glass like a fisrt gen fit or I also thought about just cuttindg a tailgate in half and also use it's thickness for storage..somthing to the effect of Grims!

Chris

14. Biguub91

Biguub91 Registered Member

those doors rock grim. I'm inspired i had never thought of that.