Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer with Dana 60...I Got a Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badbowtie03, Aug 30, 2004.

1. badbowtie03

badbowtie03 Registered Member

Hey everyone.. I just found a pretty nice blazer with a Dana 60 under it.. Now the question is... He said he put Dana 70 outers on it? And that it is locked in 4x4 all the time.. So I was wondering is it possible for me to put new warn hubs on it to make it where I could take it in and out of 4x4? Are all Dana 60 parts the same no matter if the axle came out of a dodge, ford, Gm or a custom 60? Which hubs would I buy? How much and Where?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A lot of people put 35 spline outers in their '60s. Drive flanges are also common. Yes it can be easily converted back to 30 spline or you can run hubs even with the 35 spline.

Being in 4wd has nothing to do with the front hubs though, you can drive all day long with flanges in the front in 2wd by simply not shifting the transfer case.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey everyone.. I just found a pretty nice blazer with a Dana 60 under it.. Now the question is... He said he put Dana 70 outers on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

common/smart upgrade. Makes your shafts 1.5" x 35 spline all the way from the carrier to the hub. weak links suck! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    And that it is locked in 4x4 all the time..

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like he has drive flanges installed. No biggie. You can keep em or switch to hubs without much difficulty. You may even be able to find someone here on ck5 that would trade you hubs for the flanges.

[ QUOTE ]
    So I was wondering is it possible for me to put new warn hubs on it to make it where I could take it in and out of 4x4?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, its possible.

[ QUOTE ]
    Are all Dana 60 parts the same no matter if the axle came out of a dodge, ford, Gm or a custom 60? Which hubs would I buy? How much and Where?

[/ QUOTE ]

not 100% interchangability, but with respect to hubs you should be fine AFAIK.

j

4. badbowtie03

What If it has a locker in the front too? Is it possible to drive it home? My house is about 45 mins. from where the truck is located... Thanks Alot..

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Put the truck in 2wd and it will be fine.

I have driven my truck with the hubs locked in 70+ MPH with a front locker and I have never had a problem.

Make sure the front driveshaft is capable of taking that kind of speed for the trip home and you'll be fine. As long as it is not binding, it will be fine.

6. badbowtie03

Ok that makes me feel alot better about the whole situation then.. I Hopefully wouldnt have to get it trailered home then.. Also The thing is up on 44" TSL's with he said 15in suspension and 3 in body but ITs probably only 12" suspension b/c thats the biggest they make so.. normally are the driveshaft angles fine or what?
    Anyhting i should look for inparticualarly with a truck like this? Dana 60 Np205 14 bolt FF with 44's

7. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

American suspensions use to make a 15" spring lift for the front. I haven't heard of anyone carrying those springs anymore. But other companies will build custom springs for any amount of lift that you want. I had a blazer with 12" of lift and 1 ton running gear. The driveshaft angles are horrible /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif. It should have some c/v driveshafts or you will have some major vibration problems.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, a spring shop can make ya 15" lift springs. They won't flex at all, but they can make them.

I have lockers front and rear and its np, just stay in 2wd on the way home and you'll be good.

things to look for... hmmm... I dunno, sounds like a sweet truck. Make sure the np205 doesnt have a slip yoke on the rear... 1980 chevy 205s did. Might be a good idea to take a look inside the diff covers to see how things look in there. If there are lots of chipped/broken gear teeth or lots of rust you might wanna really check the rig over to see whatelse has been broken/neglected. As with any other vehicle, make sure you start it up (watch for smoke), run it a bit and then test drive it to see how she feels/sounds, how the shifts feel and all that crap. Its not as good as having a mech tear everything apart and check it out, but it will save ya from buying a total lemon. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

j

9. badbowtie03

What do you mean exactly by CV driveshafts? Like a front wheel drive car sorta? Do they have boots or something? Here im gonna tell ya a little more about this thing...You know the drivetrain in this thing from the previous posts and the motor is a 350 in front of a TH350 tranny he said it was basically a mud truck.. I havent seen it yet, im goin to look at it friday. But If I was to get it I would think I would probably put 6in springs on it (leave the 3in body) And then put 38's or something on it.. Just to make it more street able and less hard on the drivetrain for a trail truck.. I dont want just a huge mud truck you know? Anyways.. the thing was recently painted white and its got a cowl hood on it but it needs repairing b/c it got ran over when it was off the truck. Crazy huh? He said the interior needs redoing but thats not what im buyin it for right? Now hes askin $4500 for this truck and to me it sounds like a very good price considering the axles and the lift... What do yall think? Should it be a go ahead if it runs and drives good?

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Any pictures of it?

11. badbowtie03

No Sorry.. Ive only seen one.. The one thats in the local mgazine.. Anyways from what it sounds like, Drivetrain wise and he said it was repainted white its got a little bit of rust around the fenders. The floorpans are solid. Its a mild 350 intake mild cam ported heads.. 4500 Fair?