Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blazer with NO rocker boxes?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tp85, Mar 22, 2002.

1. tp85

tp85 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have been talking to a guy selling a blazer which has been sitting for 7 years. 7 years ago he had the floor pans and rocker panels replaced. When I asked him about the rocker boxes, he was stumped. Before he replaced the floor pans, he said that he could see the ground from inside the truck.

Does this mean that the rocker boxes are missing? They drove the blazer for about a year after the frame off resto. Would this be possible w/o rocker boxes?

Do the rocker boxes extend from the rocker panel to the frame rail? Does anyone have any good pics of installed rocker boxes?

If they are missing, are there any experiences/plans on welding up a structure piece to substitute for the rocker box?

Thanks, Tom

2. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Tom
    The rocker boxes are 8 or 10 inches wide, situated at the extreme outside of the truck under the doorsills - a large flat plate is evident under each door sill, extending rearward to the wheel well opening. It is not connected to the frame rail, but rather to the underside of the tub slightly outside the frame rail. It is possible, I suppose, that if the floor were rusted out, one could see highway even if the rocker boxes were intact. I would verify that the truck has the boxes, and that they are sound, because replacements are rare and expensive - you will need them to support the tub in case you want to enjoy the fresh air with the top off. I saw an ad from a guy a year or 2 ago who had replicated the boxes - he wanted 450 a pair, I think - but I haven't seen them and the shape is not a simple box. There is a support rod inside the boxes which adds bending resistance. I know you are looking for a truck - make sure you learn as much as you can before writing a check..

That said, if the guy himself indeed replaced the floors, he should know what they are...
    Good luck
    JB

3. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

im not totally convinced on the whole rocker box thing. my 72 has had the boxes removed and i have totally taken the body off the frame and replaced it with no problems. i had no probs putting the top back on either. now i have a softtop so it doesnt really matter too much. i dont know if i just got lucky or if the boxes are just a extra stiffining thing. i dont know. just a thought..........tmanofcali

4. tp85

That is very interesting.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The other thing to look into is putting in a cage. It would support the body much better than a rocker box could and protect you too.

6. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

I also dont have any rocker boxes. I have my hard top on in the winter and run topless all summer w/ no problems.

Evan

7. MuddyMudSkipper

MuddyMudSkipper Registered Member

I'm starting to agree with Tmanofcali. I cut out my boxes 2 years ago because they were rusty and drove with the top off without any problems. I have a soft top now and my doors shut fine. I plan on installing a full cage which should provide enough support, but i haven't had any problems.
    Jeff

8. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Well I have driven my ig without for one summer, while i can say I did notice some flex in the windshield frame without them when opening the doors it was fine when the doors were shut. I got some decent boxes off a junked 70 anyway just for peace of mind. Someone had talked about making trusses for underneath instead of the boxes. That might be something to consider.

9. Crushergmc

Crushergmc 1/2 ton status

You wouldn't notice a problem until you went off road or hit a speed bump or something like that at speed. Why pretend that we are smarter than the GM engineers? A roll bar or something else to substitute the box would be my recommendation. It just isn't worth the trouble if something happens.

10. tp85

When you guys talk about installing a roll cage/bar to help strengthen the truck (w/ or w/o rocker boxes), do you bolt the cage/bar to the truck frame, or just to the body (e.g. floor)? I think most roll bars just bolt to the truck bed floors, so I don't see how this can add much support.
    Tom

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The rocker boxes support the body. If you install a cage and bolt it into the floor it will strengthen the body better than the rocker boxes (4' of leverage insted of 1')and allow you to open the door when the truck is flexed out. If you also tie the cage into the frame that would help even more.

I am going to start by installing a cage and replacing the rockers (from wheel well to wheel well) w/ 3" square tubing. I hope that helps some because I will be installing a soft top soon and that will make it a bit harder to hop in/out through the top when I can't open the door.

12. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

My Jimmy body is on the rotisserie now, with 2 pieses of angle welded between the windshield header and the top of the floor bulkhead just behind the seats, to support the body. You can lift the body from the center, and even with rockers and angle iron the cowl is very flexible. This will be better with the body bolted down of course, but I would imagine with no rockers the body would be a lot less resistant to folding up like a cheap suit. The cowl is a very heavy piece which tends to rotate rearward (in the direction of "folding") from it's own weight. I think it boils down to what you want - IMHO a truck without the rockers has been structurally weakened.
    You can find "driveable" First Gens from $1500 to $15,000 and above.
    Good luck in your search. Remember, if you plan to "fix" stuff, plan on the cost of materials plus several times more for labor.