Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer Won't Start When It's Bloody Freezing Cold...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TallCowGirl, Jan 27, 2003.

1. TallCowGirl

TallCowGirl Registered Member

Blazer Won\'t Start When It\'s Bloody Freezing Cold...

I just moved to Illinois from New Mexico and I can't get my 1973 K-5 Blazer started when it's really cold. It got up to around 35°F this weekend and I got it started and replaced the battery to avoid future problems, but this morning it was -5°F and it wouldn't go. It would turn over and over but it wouldn't start. I tried heating the carb with a blow dryer and that didn't work. I missed work and I've got to get my truck started. It's got a new 383 engine made from an 1987 350 block. I've never had probs except when it's colder than 10°F. If any of you live where it's as cold as Ice Station Zebra and know how to start a truck when it's been sitting out in the snow, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Diana

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

Re: Blazer Won\'t Start When It\'s Bloody Freezing Cold...

It's probably choke related, Be sure the choke is going closed completely. Does it start easily when it's not as cold? If the choke is working correctly you shouldn't have to pump the gas while starting it. Usually pump the pedal twice to set the choke and give it a shot of gas, and crank it over, it should start. If you have to pump the gas while cranking it, it's probably flooding and the cold temperatures make it impossible to clean it out enough to get it to start.

3. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

i thought when the choke was closed
    that it should be open about a 1/4 of an inch?
    am i wrong on that?

4. TallCowGirl

TallCowGirl Registered Member

Hi there..thanks for the advice. No problem starting the truck when it's warm. She fires right up. The choke closes all the way when it's cold. When it's cold but not so cold I have been tapping the gas pedal twice and then gently pushing it down to start the truck when it's turning over. But when it's really cold, it won't start at all--it just turns over and over. This only happens when it has been sitting overnight. I tried again this afternoon but same results. Any suggestions?

Diana

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

You probably need two full squirts to get it started. It doesn't do much atomizing when it's this cold, it just sits in the bottom of the intake.

The choke should snap shut when you press the pedal. Then once it starts it should open 1/8" to 1/4". I prefer 3/16" since that does best from 10°-90°. If you're blessed with an electric choke it can be adjusted by rotating the choke assembly. Life is easy with an electric choke. I happen to be burdened with a coil that bolts to the intake. I can't ever get it "just right" for all weather conditions. In fact, right now, it doesn't like to stay running on the first start but it's too damn cold outside (tomorrow it's supposed to make it into the positive double digits!) to be up there under the hood bending rods to get the choke just right.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Just why in the flying cow patties of Hades did you move from the Land of Enchantment (oh how I love the Land of Enchantment) to the Land of Lincoln (I hate Yankees!!)?