Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bleding the Diesel circuit

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by JORGE, Mar 27, 2001.

1. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    What is the usual way to bleding this kind of engine,where has the bleding keys or faucets?I,m going to change the fuel filter.
    Other question,where is the glow plugs relay?
    This questions can to seem sillys,but i haven,t have time to look the engine very much,i brought the truck the saturday and i,m very bussy with other thinks.And it is very different than the european cars,the usuals cars in Spain.
    Thanks.

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I believe they have two different styles of fuel filter setups, though I'm not sure what years they switched. On my '90, the fuel filter is a rectangle shape and clamps onto a bracket on the passenger side firewall. On the top of this bracket is a small valve and spigot, basically the same idea as the bleeders on the brakes.

The glow plug controller is located at the back of the engine, behind the air filter and slightly to the drivers side.

3. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    Yes,in my 88´is also a rectangle box in the fire wall,but i don,t remember if it has a bleeder.Tomorrow i,ll see to it.Thanks for the information.Jorge.

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Th e box filters have two valves: the bottom for draining water, the top for bleeding air. To bleed (purge) air from the filter: install a new filter, disconnect fuel solenoid wire (heavy gauge pink wire on top of fuel injection pump), have fuel crank (try to start) engine, while you open top valve on filter mount, close valve when fuel streams out. Don't crank engine longer than 20 seconds (let starter cool one minute).

Glow plug relay/controller is a small gray ribbed box device bolted to intake manifold, behind air filter. If you need to replace it, do NOT use anything other than AC Delco - you have been warned.

5. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I cheat on bleeding the system !!! On the small filter behind the air intake , I take the line off the out side port and put a fitting in it . The fitting has a end for a hose . I then use a transfer pump like the ones you see at harbour frieght . I put one end on the fitting and use the pump to pull the fuel through the filters . Once fuel starts coming out I stop and install the line back on the filter . Starts right up and will keep on running

6. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

That is a freeking cool idea.
    I will have to try that when I replace my filters.
    Cool....

1982 6.2L Diesel K5 Blazer, TH700, 31 inch tires.
    Fire ALWAYS makes it better.

7. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How about just pouring some clean Diesel into the filter before installing it? Thats what I have always done and have never had a problem.

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!