Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

@^*%#!& Bleeder Screw !!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txfireman110, Jul 6, 2004.

1. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

Who knows how to get a stuck bleeder screw UNstuck (in a D60).And by the way, I broke it off so now there's only about 1/4" left sticking out/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif(mind out of gutter please /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif)
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

2. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

If you have a welder weld a nut to it, the heat breaks it lose and it usually spins right out atleast both mine did.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Man I had a Russells speed bleeder strip out on me, I just grabbed it with a pliers and tore the threads off and yabked the thread material out. I don't think it will work with a noce solid bleeder screw but maybe.....

4. jrsheets

jrsheets Registered Member

you can try vice grips, a torch and just wiggle away. If that doesn't work, i usually weld a nut to it and break it free. If you don't have a welder, then you might be buying a new caliper

5. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

If you can cut a slot in it with a hacksaw or something, you may be able to use a screw drives.

Also, you may be able to use an "easy-out" tool.

Another option is to use a reverse drill bit slighly larger than the opening on the bleader. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have brazed a 3/8 nut over the boogered remains of many bleeders and they came right out--the trick is to let it sit for ten minites after you braze or weld the nut on,the heat soaks into the threaded portion of the bleeder and helps loosen the tapered seat up,then it usually comes out easily--having a 9/16 head to wrench on is much better than a 1/4 inch or 5/16 too--.I hate bleeder screws,and having to bleed brakes (especially alone!). /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gifIf all fails,the calipers are 11.99 at auto zone for my truck at least,wheel cylinders are 8.99 each--so guess what I did on my 82 when he calipers wouldnt push back in and the bleeders were stuck? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I have brazed a 3/8 nut over the boogered remains of many bleeders and they came right out--the trick is to let it sit for ten minites after you braze or weld the nut on,the heat soaks into the threaded portion of the bleeder and helps loosen the tapered seat up,then it usually comes out easily--having a 9/16 head to wrench on is much better than a 1/4 inch or 5/16 too--.I hate bleeder screws,and having to bleed brakes (especially alone!). /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gifIf all fails,the calipers are 11.99 at auto zone for my truck at least,wheel cylinders are 8.99 each--so guess what I did on my 82 when he calipers wouldnt push back in and the bleeders were stuck? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not gonna find D60 calipers for $11.99 anywhere...

Rene

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Sorry--I didnt see the "D60" part of his post! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif But I did say "for my truck at least" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif--now I'm glad I dont have a dana 60!. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

9. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

10. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

11. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Calipers are pretty cheap I think. They only way I have had success in getting something like that out is the welding of a nut to it.