Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bleeding brakes

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Muddytazz, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Anyone any good at bleeding brakes wanna swing by and give me a hand? I did my axle swap this last weekend and for the life of me can't get what seems to be all the air out. Or at least that is all I hope it is.

Before the axle swap, I had perfect brakes, after the swap, I barely have any....my foot goes to the floor /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

if you ran the master dry you may have to bench bleed it again, or at least do some line crakkin at the master, and if theres no fluid at the wheels, get it movin, if there is, have someone push down as right after you open the bleeder, and then close it when the stream dies, dont i repeat DONT pump /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif why you ask, EZ, you take one huge air bubble and splatter it into 9,000,000,000 particles, then you have to bledd 10x more. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I never ran the master dry....when I swapped the rear axle, brake lines were only disconnected for about 15 minutes and the ends of the lines were plugged with golf tees.....the fronts were only disconnected for about 10 seconds each side.

4. uglychevyZZ4

should a piece of cake /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif are the new cylinders puking? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. uglychevyZZ4

and do you have th erear prop valve? if so, may need to bleed some air out at those lines too, and its a PITA!

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm getting steady streams out of the rear caddy calipers, the fronts on the other hand are spitting, burping, doing everything but a steady stream /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

rear prop valve?

The only prop valve on my burb is the stock one on the front cross member /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. uglychevyZZ4

was yers a 1/2 ton? mine is a 3/4 so it has the rear prop valve too, right up by the gas tank f/r corner, has a arm that goes down to the axle to level out weight dispurtion better. are the rear calipers leaking behind the dust rings/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.giftry to bleed th eway i explained, sounds like excessive air that is getting exploded as i call it.

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yeah, mine WAS a 1/2ton

10. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

One thing you need to check close is the rear brake shoe adjustment. Get them adjusted until they drag on the drums then back off a hair. I didnt adjust mine out enough when I first did my 3/4 ton swap and had the same problem with pedal travel.

11. uglychevyZZ4

[ QUOTE ]
    One thing you need to check close is the rear brake shoe adjustment. .

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm getting steady streams out of the rear caddy calipers, the fronts on the other hand are spitting, burping, doing everything but a steady stream

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. kennyw

Yes, I did read that too, but he may have more than one problem and needs to be sure they are mechanically adjusted right. Take care of that problem and the fronts will bleed out better because the pedal travel will start pushing fluid thru the front rather than sending it all to the rear to make up for excessive travel...

13. uglychevyZZ4

i was just giggling at the shoe part /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. kennyw

[ QUOTE ]
    i was just giggling at the shoe part /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What did I spell it wrong? Shoe, Sheo... no that cant be it? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Nevermind...

15. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

He's talking about the part where I do not have rear shoes....I have rear disks /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

16. kennyw

Yep, finally figured it out /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Kinda trying to do too much at once and reading thru things quickly... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Gotta design the nuclear power plant Homer Simpson style you know /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

17. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

18. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Gotta design the nuclear power plant Homer Simpson style you know /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif/forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif/forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif
    Bill

19. uglychevyZZ4

[ QUOTE ]
    He's talking about the part where I do not have rear shoes....I have rear disks /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

20. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Did ya get em fixed?
    Worn or missing coppers will let it draw air.
    You should have had a good pedal right away.
    For what you did you should have been able to gravity bleed each caliper and give it a couple of pumps to purge the air.