Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bleeding brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1979jimmy350, May 18, 2006.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

I started to try and bleed the brakes on my project, i got the fronts to bleed but, i can not get any fluid to go to the rears. I even unhooked the hardline before the t in the line for the rear and can still not get fluid to come out the lines. Could this be caused by a bad master cylinder? Or do i just need to blled them longer?

2. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

well, first off you should always start with the end the farthest away from the MC. this typically means the rears first. if you are unsure, you can try bleeding the MC itself. see if that works, then make your way down the line till you find the culpirt.

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are you sure about this? I always thought you started with the end closest to the master cylinder, and then work your way to the farthest.

4. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

no, the one farthest away. i usually start with the pass rear. then driver rear, then pass front, then finally the drivers front.

5. 1-ton

And to think I have been doing it wrong all these years. :D

6. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

well, perhaps it doenst matter that much. but i have always done it that way and was showed by my father (where pretty much everything i know about automotive things comes from) that that was the "correct way".

7. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

I just went through this and four of the big bottles of brake fluid, I even went and got a new master and still the back brakes wouldn't work.

I tried the manuel method, I tried presurizing the reservior, and I tried a vacuum method, and nothing work. I was about to go get another master thinking it was bad and as a last resort I tried the vacuum method with the pressurized reservior and that finally worked.

After going through that mess I think It may have been that I didn't bench bleed it good enough.

8. 1-ton

I just looked at a repair manual, and "sh!t howdy" it said "Start from the farthest first". Man I just bled my brakes on my truck about three months ago the wrong way, but it they still work pretty damn good. I guess there is something to be said for reading instructions.

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You just gave every female out there ammunition man!:eek1: You better take that back right now!:D

10. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

to go farthest from the mc. u'd do driver rear, pass rear, pass front, driver front. thats what i always do. u probably have a ton of air in your lines, keep doing it

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Cap the master cylinder and open up one rear line. With the line open, have someone push down on the brake pedal slowly(dont let it come back up at any point while pushing down). Then when at the floor, hold it and close the bleeder. Keep repeating this until you get fluid on both back line.

A friend of mine bleeds all his lines like this and it works good.

12. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

I can't believe it would work that way, because you'd be putting air in the line every time you crack the bleeder. Did the pedal feel solid?

Just bought those new spring and ball bleeders, really makes the job simple, I can't even screw this process up!!

13. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Sometimes you will have a clogged rubber hose, or one that has a weak inner wall and it blows up like a balloon, ran into those a few times. I replace every thing, saves a lot of problems.

14. 1-ton

My brakes feel good, but not great. I think they could be better.

This is what I am looking into...buying a set of those Speed Bleeders. And after I buy a set of those Speed Bleeders, I will bleed my brake system again...correctly this time. :D

15. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

I think they're about $7 a pc. I put them on the front, gotta get a set for the rear, I think you'll like them. plus my wife won't be pumping my brakes any more! I can't even count how many times she left off the pedal

16. 1-ton

:haha: :haha: :haha:

This is the exact same reason I need a set of speed bleeders.