Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bleeding Brakes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NITRO, Mar 31, 2002.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

I bleed my brakes in the driveway with the pump and and loosen the screw method. It just isnt cutting it. in 2 months, they suck again. i do go to the ORV park every once in a while, and they are usually worse when i come back. Is there some other way to bleed them to get everything out? I replaced the master cylinder 2 months ago and bench bled it and all that bs, but my brake light on the dash keeps coming on. Its really startin to P!$$ me off.

NITRO

2. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Maybe you've got a leak somewhere and air is getting in. Does your brake fluid level keep going down?

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

The level stays the same, but i think that when i go offroadin is when its happening. I dont have n e leaks for sure. N E other Ideas? Thanx

NTRO

4. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Thats weird it only does it after going offroad. I'm not really sure what else it could be. Maybe it has something to do with your new master cylinder. I'm sure someone else on this site would have some more suggestions. Just can't think of anything else right now.

5. biltntboght

biltntboght Registered Member

I think you have air in the lines. Here's an easy way to bleed the brakes by yourself. With no air getting back in. Go to hardware store and buy 3 feet of clear plastic tubing that will push on tightly over the bleeder. Put wrench on bleeder, put tubing on bleeder, put other end of tubing in a glass jar with 1/2 inch of brake fluid in it. Pump brakes a couple of times check fluid level in master. I like to use my hand to push the pedal and watch to see the air coming out , when you don't see air tighten bleeder and move on to the next one. If you really push fast it seems to get all the air out. But don't let the master run out of fluid or you'll have to start over again. Don't reuse fluid in jar it can have rust, water and gunk in it. Hope it helps let us know.

TODD

6. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

Ive tried everything. is there a vacum type thing that can bleed them like clutches? i might just take it to a brake shop

NITRO

7. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I've seen the small vaccum pump with a guage for 30 bucks at PepBoys or any other parts store.