Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bleeding eldo calipers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, Apr 24, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

WIth the bleeder pointing down, I'll need to take them off to bleed.
    How do I keep the piston from coming out? I don't have any junk rotors or whatever. What can I wedge in there?

Also, to push the piston in the eldo caliper back in, say for a pad change, can I just use a C-clamp or is there something special to do? Do I need to remove the parking brake lever to push it back in?

Questions questions...
    Thanks in advance for any help - I'm ready to call all of this brake stuff done.

-- Mike

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The piston gets returned by unhooking the ebrake lever and rotating the ebarake mount back in. You can gravity bleed the calipers by turning the caliper upside down (bleeder on top) and let the fluid do the work. Then mount your caliper and pump them tight.

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Mike,
    By rotating the ebrake mount, you mean to take a socket to the nut where the ebrake lever attaches, correct?

I have a Haynes ElDorado repair manual and I think that is what it is showing, but I'm not sure.
    -- Mike

4. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Your bleeders should be on the top, not on the bottom. If you have them on the bottom you will never get all of the air out. You will need a tool to rotate the piston in, If you use a c clamp you will screw up the caliper, it screws in. Also keep the caliper level, I had to unbolt mine from the mounts and hold it on the rotor and bleed it at the same time. They do not sit completly level when mounted and you cannot get all of the air out of them.

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Your bleeders should be on the top, not on the bottom

[/ QUOTE ]
    The only way I could get the calipers so that the parking brake levers would be in a usable position was to mount them backwards - the bleeder is almost exactly pointing straight down.
    [ QUOTE ]
    You will need a tool to rotate the piston in

[/ QUOTE ]
    What tool is that? If you know the name or have a link or something that would be great.

[ QUOTE ]
    Also keep the caliper level, I had to unbolt mine from the mounts and hold it on the rotor and bleed it at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ended up unbolting them and gravity bleeding them like Borrego suggested. Once I thought all the air was out, I kept tapping them with a wrench and more air bubbles came out. It took awhile, but eventually no more air was getting out and just fluid.

-- Mike

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yes, that bolt on the ebrake lever will spin freely. You can turn the piston gently with a large screw driver as well to assist it. My e-brake levers are mounted down, bleeders up but the caliper is at a 45 degree angle. Gravity bleeding has worked great but pumping them seemed like a never ending cycle. I'm still running with the e-brake disconnected so for all the convenience, I've never followed through and finished it.