Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bleeding power steering pump - how to..............

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbinOR, May 6, 2002.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Title says it all, putting in the crossover this weekend, with AGR pump, new pressure lines, cooler, etc.............do you simply leave the cap off the reservoir/pump and saw the wheel back and forth?

TIA

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Nope, turn smoothly from lock to lock repeatedly with the front tires off the ground and the engine not running. Check reservoir frequently, do not let run dry. Keep a close watch, especially for the first couple of cycles. When no bubbles come through, only then do you crank the engine. Then repeat to get more bubbles out. Took me about 15 minutes total...

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

With the engine off the fluid is not being circulated.
    I always raise the front and with the engine running I turn the wheel slowly stop to stop several times while keeping an eye on the fluid leval.
    Even the manuals say to do it this way.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Even with the engine off, I was able to bleed most of the air out of my cylinder and lines. As it compresses and cycles, it draws the fluid in, and pushes the air out. There may be no forced fluid movement, but the pressure differential caused by the ram is enough to move the fluid quite well. I did it this way in an effort to reduce the amount of foaming. Is this the best way? No idea. I was just going by what seemed reasonable and it seemed to work well enough. Others complain about having trouble bleeding the system but, I've done it twice now (and once on the trail) with no hassle at all.

5. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

the key thing is to raise the front or you chance burning the pump!

6. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

not sure what a AGR pump is, but the stock PS pump i have always turned the pully oposite of the engine would and keep the level full untill it take no more fluid. just my 2 cents