Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bleeding power steering system with hydroboost

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86Cucvbeater, Nov 29, 2006.

1. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

i have an 86 with hydroboost that i just put hydro assist on. do u bleed the power steering system in any special way? i put it up on stands and turned the tires back and forth for about 10 minutes, while stepping on the brakes often. should i hold the brakes the whole time? reason i ask is because my brakes now feel a bit spongy(they were awesome before) and my steering has 2 'hard' spots in it. this leads me to believe there is still some air in the system. otherwise everything is great. also, anyone else done assist with hydroboost want to share their experience?

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have HB but my assist is not on yet. I would be interested in how the steering works while the brakes are applied and also what if any mods you have done to the pump. It sounds like you just need to bleed some more.

Ira

3. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

the steering functions the same whether im on the brakes or not. good thing huh :D i didnt modify the pump because i heard it can cause premature wear but i added a cooler and filter to the low pressure side of the system. hopefully i just have some air still in there.

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The coolers can trap air and cause issues with bleeding also. When you think you have bled enough start over and do it again.:o Also drive it around the block a few times carefully. Changing pump speed as you drive helps drive some air out.

Ira

5. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

I put a new hydroboost on my 92 1-ton a while back, the old one was leaking and my brakes now are worse than they were before. I read the bleeding instructions and the brakes still suck! I think I am going to take it back and get another one.