Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bleeding the Power Steering?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Dec 17, 2001.

I have heard that you can get air in the Steering box, or pump, is there a way to bleed that out. I have plenty of fluid, but it is still impossible to turn. Get a shuddering feeling in the wheel constantly.

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

The power steering will bleed itself, it sounds like the pump is heading south.
    That is how the Burb was acting when the pump went out.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Did you replace any components? I rebuilt my box two weeks ago (replaced seals) and ever since its been acting kinda beeeezar. At first it didn't move at all now its a little sticky. But to bleed them I always jack the front up so the tires are on the ground but are unweighted, then turn the wheels to the right and let them sit for a minute, then back the left. I just go back and forth til the wheel feels "loose". That shuddering feeling could be the pully slipping on the shaft.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

3. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

I have a similar problem; any suggestions?It's COLD here in Korea and my steering wheel won't move when I first start up in the morning. It takes about ten minutes until the engine is warmed up and then the steering wheel turns. Changed the pump three times. The steering gear was replaced over this past summer. I'm using straight ATF in the pump. Any ideas on what's causing this stuck wheel? Thanks!

4. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

I have a similar problem; any suggestions?It's COLD here in Korea and my steering wheel won't move when I first start up in the morning. It takes about ten minutes until the engine is warmed up and then the steering wheel turns. Changed the pump three times. The steering gear was replaced over this past summer. I'm using straight ATF in the pump. Any ideas on what's causing this stuck wheel? 84 Full size blazer.
    Thanks!

5. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

To bled the pump you will need to raise the front tires off the ground. Fill the p/s pump with the correct amount of fluid and start the engine. Then you will have to turn the wheel lock to lock until all the air bubbles are out. Just leave the cap off and take a flash light and look for bubbles in the fluid. Sometimes it can take a while to get all the air out. When you don't see any more bubbles in the resevoir you'll be all set.

74 Blazer
    Zepplin
    Check out my Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976>http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976</a>

6. It looks like it is leaking out the back, there is a bolt that goes into the resevoir, put plumers tape on that, the problem is that is where it connects to the bracket in the rear seems like it is shaking loose.
    Does anybody know why there is a hole in the back for that botl, would it hurt if I locktight it?

Thanks for all the responses

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

7. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

I believe the hole is for a bracket on some models. I just replaced my pump, but all the bolts the connect the resivor to the bracket bolt on the front of the pump. The hole does need to be pluged. I just used a bolt with a wide flat washer, snugged it down, and have had no leaks. Don't know if your bracket is the same, hope it helps.

81 Blazer Silverado Package, 350, 4" lift, 35" tires