Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bleh

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hawkeye649, Jul 13, 2006.

?

Is this a trick question?

1. I am nekked.

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. I would like to be nekked.

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  1. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

blah

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  2. balterbuilt

balterbuilt 1/2 ton status

*shivers*

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

hmmm... you know, they say mom is always right. apparently its true.

looks a little beefy for a snorkel, or is it the start of your exocage?

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

My favorite part is the pipe front bumper.

5. rumbly truck

rumbly truck 1/2 ton status

I don't know, they lisence plate hardware running right up there.

6. stkcode

stkcode Registered Member

7. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

oh my goodness. uhh good luck

8. sgarrison

sgarrison 1/2 ton status

9. hawkeye649

This place always makes me feel so good about myself. Yay.

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

So what was it? and why did you give up so easily

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

lounge material in the garage.... forkin n00bs. :rolleyes:

12. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

now i feel bad. im sorry man. Your truck is pretty cool though. It just seemed like you were going for professional(see i cant even spell proffesional) end result and in ordre to do so really youd need professional products to start with. like an arb one.

13. hawkeye649

That would defeat the purpose of building one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had written out a big post about what I thought was cool about it. I didn't really take into consideration what size it would look on the truck, and that was like 4-5 hours worth of fab with 0 finishing touches done yet. I still don't think it's too robust, our trucks are huge it's really hard to make something that looks too big on it. Plus I went with 4" in mind because that's about the size of the mating surface on the TBI so I figure they did that for a reason.

I was just excited about the progress I had made, so I posted it up. And your right, my tools for the day were a pair of tin snips, a cut off wheel, an antenna pipe for the bends in the sheet metal, and a welder. And the mother saying it was ruined was just seeing a 4" hole in the fender.

Plus I really like my bumper. Just because it isn't pre-runner doesn't mean it's a POS. :mad: I guess I take the moto of built not bought in a different perspective, for better or worse, because I figure there isn't anything along those lines I can't make. Not like I'm keeping it real for the CK5 croud, or a poster boy, good or bad fabricator, or anything, just like making stuff... It's just playing and learning to me. :rolleyes:

Now on the other hand, maybe some suggestions would have been better. You guys totally ruined my day, read those comments when I woke up and was just pissy all day. :doah:

14. hawkeye649

What does fabbing have to do with " Chit-Chat with fellow Members about off topic subjects."

Did I piss you off in a past life or something? :confused:

15. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't say the initial exit box is too big, borderline, but ok... I d say the transition area and pillar tube are a prob tho...

A for effort, C for execution... :D

But I'm a tough critic.. I'm a very anti "use whatevers laying around" type person... I feel guilty if its not a top of the line material... I'd rather wait and buy the right stuff,, Heck, I've patiently waited 2 yrs to put a lift on... :haha:

Just don't do a PVC rollbar.... :wink1:

16. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The fact is that the bumper is rough, to say the least. You are welcome to like it - its your truck - but if you look at 99.9% of what is posted here (and on the other boards that I frequent) it is rough.

The snorkel is a poor application of a good idea. It just all looks like you cobbled it together out of junk that was laying around, which is exactly the case.

Like ryoken, most of us are patient and take a lot of time to do it right, or at least as right as we can. If you are going to post results and hope for positive comments, do it right. And well.

Either way, grow a thicker skin if you are going to post results at all. There is always someone who will not like whatever you have done...

17. hawkeye649

So I guess a work in progress pic should never be posted. Considering the pipe to the roof is just sittin on there doin nothing. Covered with tack welds, etc. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Let's see, the rise pipes were notched to fit. There are 8 bends to make it follow the line of the body. I made the bottom one come up for extra clearance. It's even/symetrical etc. :dunno:

Things I've been meaning to do for months on the bumper would be find some weld-on caps or caps that are the same dia as the bumper so they aren't screw on. I'd like to find some 1/4" plate so I could attach to the frame horns and bring it up infront of the grill, much like you'd see with a bolt-on brush guard. (Plus making the brush-guard) The bumper would then be mounted behind these plates in a pocket, plus moved up a few inches to match up with my core support level, where I channeled my fangs so they would look stock, all hack-job like. I think that would be cool. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still don't know if I'll be getting a winch or not yet, or if the cable will exit under or between the tubes of my bumper, so no reason to recess the licence plate yet.

And I'd say just like most people out there, I've decided on the 52" spring swap as well, and am also just waiting to be able to afford to get rid of the push-pull. :D