Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blending Paint into current finish

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 83ZZ502_Jimmy, Mar 9, 2007.

1. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Any tips on doing this?

I have to blend a small (20x20) section (right by the RR wheelwell) on one of my K5's. Long story involving a rock...:D

I have all the paint, basecoat/clearcoat and whatnot to do it. I am trying to avoid having to refinish the whole RR quarter.

How much do I sand down into the "good" part of the finish? How far do I take the base? and the clear?

Again, I'm not a professional, but I have sucessfully painted a couple of trucks. I have the HVLP gun and D/A sander etc...

Just need some tips, if any. :)

Thanks in advance,
    John

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

take me a pic... I'll walk you thru where to backtape it, etc... Your gonna want some blending reducer....

here's the quickie...

do the repair area thru last primer coat.

buff the entire quarter thoroughly with some lacquer (orange) compound. buff "into" the primer edges, bringing the overspray back into the repair area....

final wetsand cross-blocking of primered area.. 400 for base/clear. carry this out into the painted area, say 4 to 6"s...

blow off.. final wash.. i prefer denatured alcohol...

mask.. backtape any peaks your able to utilize...

final tack..

base the primered area till mostly covered.. usually 2 to 4 coats... next coat bring it out to the where you sanded to.. make sure at this point your watching the base go on.. you want be dusting it somewhat at the edges...

last coat, go out even further, but really dust your edges.. just watch the base, you can watch how the color feathers in...

dry thoroughly..

tack surrounding area, bringing any dry, overspray back into the painted area... they make tack rags specifically for this, generally blue and less sticky than a standard yellow.. a worn out yellow works too... be careful not to "streak" rub your blend areas...

mix your clear.. spray as normal mix.. a coat or 2 centered over the repair.. then bring your next coat to just inside where your base ends..

add blending reducer.. 75 to 100% reducer to what you have paint.. in other words, if you have 10oz's of mixed clear left in the cup, add 8 to 10 oz's of blending reducer...

clear the blend area.. bring this last coat out at least a few inches past the last clear coat and blend it into the cleared repair area.. make sure your clear goes out further than any base. it's best to bascally just shoot a 6 to 10" wide area at the blend area, as opposed to clearing the whole area... if you get back to that last blending coat quick enough, it'll wet out and blend right into the fresh clear on the repair side with no dry spray...

scuff and buff... i usually just hit what needs it in the repair area with a little 600... then do 1000 over the whole area, lightly at the clear blend. LIGHTLY..

buff with a white clear coat compound... always making sure that your wheel rotation is heading from the repair area out to the old finish... blending the clear into the old clear, not burning it back to an edge heading back into the repair area...

hmmmmmm, not so quick.... :doah: :haha:

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thank you for the advice, I am slowly making progress.

John