Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blew a brake line today

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Aug 22, 2003.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yep, and it sucked. I was cruising and had to stop, so I hit the pedal and it greets me back by hitting the floor. After some wicked explicitives and the awesome engine braking power of my TH700 (seriously, it's built right), I got Big Orange off the highway to inspect the damage.

Well come to find out, I didn't blow the braided steel hose on the front like I thought I had. I BLEW THE HARD LINE ON THE REAR AXLE!!!

It was kinda weird though. The entire line still has that factory spiral wire around it, and all of the line clamps were in use on the axle. I haven't been doing any heavy 4 wheeling lately and I haven't run into anything to weaken it. I guess it just finally had enough.

After robbing a line from my buddies old 12b housing and bleeding the rear brakes, I was back on the road again. I'm glad I got it fixed too. No more than 5 miles down the road, I almost get into an accident with a HUGE John Deere tractor. But I made it home ok and in time for my date with my g/f.

2. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

WOW! the hard line how wierd is that? I dont know about you guys,but i think it is one of the funnest things to avoid an accident purely becasue of the skill required to do so. I have avoided many accidents do to quick thinking and intence manhandelling of my truck. Anyone else feel the same way? then afterward your proud of your truck for helping out and doing what its supposed to. so as to not get in a wreck? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i know how that stuff goes. I had 2,000lbs of wood stove pellets in the back of my luv when i had a rear tie blow out. It was kinda harry becouse i was on a major road and had to keep from going into oncoming traffic.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Now you understand why I always recommend folks replace their hard lines on old trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif They can look perfect from the outside, but brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it attracts and holds moisture. So when a truck gets to be 10-30 years old, like most of our junk, the lines can be rotted from the inside and ready to blow at any time. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif New hard lines are way to cheap to skimp on. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Here in new england I have to change the steel lines about every 2 years at most--aftermarket ones seen to rust almost as soon as you walk out of the store with them--I've tried the teflon coated ones from autozone,not much better,the salt gets under the coating and it rusts anyway--I feel it should be federal law that stainless steel only should be used for brake lines,at least in the rust belt states.Nothing worse than hitting the brakes and hearing the POP ans the pedal sinks to the floor at 70mph while your trying to miss the boob on the cellphone-- /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifI've been tempted to just hit them next time! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif