Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blew ANOTHER shaft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Oct 30, 2003.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Changing out my steering stabilizer tonight, I noticed my left front axleshaft missing a cap off the u joint and the ear is all deformed. I guess this happened last month and I hadn't noticed it til today.

So, we have:

1 trip through the mud pit at the 4wd Jamboree unscathed

1 trip through same mud pit, lost both right side axles and joint

1 trip out wheelin' and lost hte other side stub and joint

So, what we have here is two outings and two failures of axleshafts/joints. I'm so fed up with this front axle that I wouldn't fix it if laketex's bbq wasn't this weekend and I didn't want to do a little wheelin.

Moral of the story is that 38" TSLs, heavy right foot, and a 3/4 ton front do not agree with each other, even if it's open.

Thank God the almighty '60 is in the backyard.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The irony is that you used to be one of the biggest defenders of the almighty 10 bolt front... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Rene

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    The irony is that you used to be one of the biggest defenders of the almighty 10 bolt front... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. I've honestly never seen a rig eat shafts like this one except my buddy Randy with the D44 and 454 and 39.5 Boggers (he has been the happy owner of a D60 for about a year though)

I'm actually mad at my truck. I knew it would break, but not this much! This sucks!

I bet I'll break the 30 splines in the '60.

Rene, about that block...... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i run 36s and a 44...4-speed healthy 350......and feel lucky to to have only broken 3 this year so far...and i havent been nice to it on several outings.....and it has a power lock....

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wow, you've managed to break with 36s...damn. Oh well, screw this axle. I'm so pissed at it I'd put my '60 in tomorrow if I could.

6. tRustyK5

That block is still happily residing under my truck. I no longer have the correct studs for it though /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I should snap a pic of our bootie fab fix considering how well it worked...well enough that I haven't felt the need to find the correct studs yet.

Rene

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol, this is pretty funny. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif why dont you give that 60 to someone who wants it and stick with the 1/2 ton poo-poo + 38s a little longer. Wouldnt wanna upgrade to early or anything. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

j

8. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I read a story in one of the mags and they said that moser makes alloy axles for the 44 that make it comparable to the 60 as far as axle strength.

9. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've honestly never seen a rig eat shafts like this one

[/ QUOTE ]

I have destroyed 2 sets of Warn inners and outers in 2 trips,my truck likes to eat too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifAnd thats with 37s and 52 horse power.

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Sounds like you need to start tach welding your ujoint caps to the axleshafts so they don't spit the cap and ruin the axles. That or go to full circle snaprings on you ujoints. It doesn't sound like you have an axleshaft problem, just a ujoint problem. Tach weld the caps to the axleshafts and run it and see if you still have a problem.

Harley

11. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Wow ya'll are doing better than I do. I bust a shaft almost everytrip. I think I'm up to 5? I'm only on 35's too. It always happens to me when I'm using the posi like a locker (Apply a little brake pressure so the clutches hold). I just can't wheel the blazer like I want to with the 10 bolt. I already have a 60 for the buggy I'm building soon, and I'm working on a 60 and 38's for the blazer.

Here is the latest injury! [image] http://www.offroadrepublic.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=albun57&id=aab [/image]

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Get it fixed by sunday, slacker! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

ZING!! ZING!!! Exactly!!! Make him eat his own words! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Thank God the almighty '60 is in the backyard.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Put the damn thing in already, you've been talking about your 1ton parts truck as long as I've been a member. Didn't know it takes 6 months to do a front axle swap /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like you need to start tach welding your ujoint caps to the axleshafts so they don't spit the cap and ruin the axles.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only time it has spit a cap. Last time, it broke the cross part of the u joint in two. This time, I might have had a retention problem, but last time, I certainly had failure of a u joint.

I am going to put the '60 in as soon as Rene gets his crossover swap done and hooks me up with the steering block. That's the only reason it's not done.

It will be fixed for Sunday Bryan, don't worry. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm going right now to my moms house (an hour ride or so) so I can get a spare stub.

16. tRustyK5

Dang...I guess I better hurry up then. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

nah, drag ur feet a few months, that'd be more fun. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

j

18. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

you should have bought a block a while back and did the swap months ago. You wouldn't have to mess with this broken shaft not to mention the other one a few months ago, plus all your time and money for parts. See, a few bucks for a block 6 months ago would have been worth it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Tim, if the steering block is the only thing holding you back from getting your D60 installed, how about I sell you the block I've got on my desk here at home? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I don't have the studs for this block. I've only got the actual block and the round spacer block in the center of it. If you're interested, $40 gets it shipped to your door. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Honestly, I am looking at doing crossover when I get my tax return so I don't want to pour any money into a front to back steering setup, sorry. I am sure another user would be glad to take it off your hands, but I really would rather put any of my cash towards crossover steering instead of a setup I'm just going to tear off and trash anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif