Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blew Engine I think, Getting Crate one, TBI spacer yes or no? What Intake?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Aug 1, 2001.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Well I messed up the engine in my truck, I think I messed up a rod. It knocks when @ idle and how no power, everyone agree a rod is messed up and the engine is toast?

I am thinking about getting a GM reman engine from the dealership for $1200. 350 c.i., 350 horses, 340 ft lbs of torque, 12 month, 12k mile warranty.

While I have all the TBI stuff off, what do you guys think of adding a TBI spacer, yes or no? Why?

I am also going to add some headers, any recommendations?

I am going to add an intake too, any suggestions on which one to get? Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 6" lift, 36" TSL Radials, 14 Bolt, Rancho 9012s

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No spacer, no good for torque.

Get an Edelbrock TBI intake. I'd even suggest Vortec heads, but I don't know if you want to spend the money.

I say get Dynomax Jet-Hot coated headers if you can't afford Doug Thorleys. Also get the header dual kit and your favorite mufflers.

Leave the headers off until the motor's in.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

well that is a pretty sweet motor for that price if you ask me... what crate engine is that?

I would stay away from the TB spacer... IMO they are a total waste of money and they tend to cause problems w/ the linkage... alot of times you have to kinda modify the brackets they give you to make it work... that motor sounds like it will give you more then enough power. I would recommend a Edelbrock performer intake

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

4. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

ok, I will scratch the spacer. And check on an Edelbrock intake. Why should I keep the headers off until the engine is in? Easier to get the thing into the engine compartment or what? Also what would be some good things to replace while the engine is out? I'm obviously doing spark plugs and wires, distributor, getting radiator flushed, and I think a new water pump. Anything else? I am not sure on the exact engine, a guy I got my starter from is helping me out. I'll try to find out and post it.
    Also everyone agree by the things I said that the engine is toast? Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 6" lift, 36" TSL Radials, 14 Bolt, Rancho 9012s

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Carefull, If it does have votec heads you may have a real problem finding a votec manifold for TBI, I did. I changed to carb for now. Full fuely later.

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"8" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

6. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    i was under the impression that vortec heads are relatevely cheap. like around $350 a pair off the chevy high performance catalog or am i just dreaming?

sun desert offroad http://community.webshots.com/user/scoobydann

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah, the Vortec heads are $400 =/- from GM.

Edelbrock makes a Vortec TBI intake that will work just nicely if you like.

Yes, I put my motor in and I imagine it'd be a PITA if the headers were installed before. I remove them before I removed the motor and installed the new one, then bolted up the headers again. Most people I see do it with the headers on already--I just can't imagine doing it that way.

Engine install is very simple but time consuming and will take a little longer for the TBI as opposed to the carb setup I have.

Tim

8. lukerz

lukerz 1/2 ton status

When you install your motor, remove distributer if it is in the rear. Remove all spark plugs. If you change out the oil before you run it remove the oil filter too. This is all stuff that can get in the way or break during your install. Good luck. And certainly put headers on after engine is installed. This is also a perfect time to replace those motor mounts.
    Lukers

83 K10 from 76 K5 & 83 C10
    Th350 Np203 355 CID
    31 X 10.5
    Plan on 2" body lift

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If you have any desire to clean up the firewall or the front of the frame, the time to do it is with the motor out. Probably couldn't hurt to wash and scuff-sand the firewall and rattle-can a coat or two of high-temp paint (not the 1600deg. stuff that cures with heat, just the 300-400deg. stuff) on it for some rust protection. I agree with replacing the motor mounts, and would recommend looking over the frame really close for any cracks or other damage. Easy to do with the motor out...

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch-black...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

10. Yeah, scrap the spacer idea. Just get the crate motor your talking about. If it is already rated at 350 HP and 340 torq, your dont need to do anything else to the motor. Thats plenty. You dont need to get caught up in all this HP hooooplaaahh with a 4x4. You needa good solid reliable evenly balanced HP/torq motor and with 350/340 you are already there.
    1200? Sounds offly cheap for 350/340.

Damn I need to learn how to use my welder!![​IMG]
    (90 Jimmy 350 TBI, 14 FF/10 bolt, 4.56, tires ??
    (ftn96)

11. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Dawson,

Glad to hear you have another option other than a, "For Sale" sign. I agree with the previous posts about things to be done. I am really interested in that $1200. 350 HP, from the dealer, crate engine. I could be way wrong on this, but the price sounds more like a bone stock short block.

Derf00

"A WISE MONKEY NEVER MONKEYS WITH ANOTHER MONKEY'S MONKEY."

12. Yeah, I thing the 1200 one is for the universal 350 crate motor, which would be stock just like the one that came in it. the 350/340 one I think runs for about 2400.

Damn I need to learn how to use my welder!![​IMG]
    (90 Jimmy 350 TBI, 14 FF/10 bolt, 4.56, tires ??
    (ftn96)

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The universal 350 crate can be upgraded with a cam, heads, intake, and exhaust to yield plenty of power.

You guys are right--you don't need a special motor to go 4 wheeling, just enough to push your truck down the road. My truck has a 305 in it, but it's built, so it's got about as much power as a crate 350, if not a little more. It's also got about 5,000 miles on it so it's about brand new.

Tim

14. bigredblazer

bigredblazer 1/2 ton status

if you go with vortec heads, GM also makes a intake for TBI engines that accepts vortec heads. Good luck! Jon

Blazin' Trails ORD Style