Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blew header gasket

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FL84K5, Jul 31, 2002.

1. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

I think I blew a header gasket on the way home from work on the passenger side. It started leaking really bad and got dark out before the engine cooled enough to see if it just needs to be tightend. If I do need a new one, what is the best to get? After scraping off the old gasket, is it just a matter of putting the new one between the block and header and tightening down the bolts? Is it ok to drive it with it leaking like it is? It's leaking pretty bad, but I won't have time to fix it before I go to work tomorrow.

2. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I blew one and had to drive about a hundred miles with it like that. Blew the entire gasket off of cylinder #7. I had to replace it in Pismo in the kragens parking lot. The only really bad thing is that you will be letting hot poisonous gasses into the cab, and depending on which cylinder is blown out, you could end up burning something.
    To replace it you will need to pull all of the bolts except the two on the front and back of the block, these will allow you to slide the old one out and the new one in. The best ones seem to be the layered aluminum or copper, with graphite sandwiched in between the metal layers, these can be expensive, your best bet is to get a set of cheapies from the local parts store until you can getthe more expensive ones. To keep this from happening again they do sell locking header bolts with E-clip type locks on them.

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've had good luck (along as the header flange is fairly straight) using exhaust manifold gaskets. You tell the parts guy you need a set of exhaust manifold gaskets and he will give you a package of dimpled metal gaskets. Instead of one big gasket each side has 3 one for the front port, one for the middle two and one for the rear port. I have used the dead soft aluminum ones and never had a leak on my 80 with Hooker Super Comps, but the first headers I had on there were 99 dollar cheapy's and the paper gaskets blew. I talked to a guy who said get the exhaust manifold gaskets and I tried those. They were on for 3 years and were just showing signs of leaks starting to form (judging by the trace of carbon on portions of the gasket). If you were looking for a cheap, but good fix, these are the ticket. They aren't that thick, so make sure your flange is straight, and remember to tighten the center and work your way out. Hope this helps.

4. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I've had good luck with the Mr.Gasket Copper gaskets. Had them on my 71 for about 4 years now with no problems /forums/images/icons/smile.gif and I just put them on my blazer replacing the old paper one's that were blown after 2 months.